1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ben Harper and Juan Nelson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkdified, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I was just at Ben Harpers site BH/TIC are covering Michelle by the Beatles for the new cd www.thisbirdhasflown.com a tribute to Rubber soul. If you go the the CD's web site you can hear him playing and I do believe it is a fretless. He also coverd Strawberry Fields a long time ago. Juan still amazes me everytime I hear him. He rocked at Bonnaroo a couple years ago. I was floored and not because of the drugs.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Juan's playing has soul.

3. Simply amazing bassist!!! i just hope he starts using his MTD's again!!!

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think he sounds great with the Fender ;)

5. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have the austin City limits festival dvd w/ these guys on it (Brown Eyed Girl) . I love juan's playing (finger and slap), tone and presence! Nice 5 string Fender w/ maple neck and white block inlays playing through a huge SWR rig turned perpendicular to the audience. I'd seen them once a year ago on Pepsi Smash or some such teeny bopper tv show and he grooved it there too.

6. So do I :hyper:

7. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I have the "Live from Mars" double CD, and his playing is really nice . . . of course he's only on one of the CD's, as the other is Ben solo. Overall, he's got solid lines, nice embellishes and a great sound.