Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ben Harper and Juan Nelson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkdified, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I was just at Ben Harpers site BH/TIC are covering Michelle by the Beatles for the new cd www.thisbirdhasflown.com a tribute to Rubber soul. If you go the the CD's web site you can hear him playing and I do believe it is a fretless. He also coverd Strawberry Fields a long time ago. Juan still amazes me everytime I hear him. He rocked at Bonnaroo a couple years ago. I was floored and not because of the drugs.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Juan's playing has soul.

3. Simply amazing bassist!!! i just hope he starts using his MTD's again!!!

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think he sounds great with the Fender ;)

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have the austin City limits festival dvd w/ these guys on it (Brown Eyed Girl) . I love juan's playing (finger and slap), tone and presence! Nice 5 string Fender w/ maple neck and white block inlays playing through a huge SWR rig turned perpendicular to the audience. I'd seen them once a year ago on Pepsi Smash or some such teeny bopper tv show and he grooved it there too.

6. So do I :hyper:

7. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I have the "Live from Mars" double CD, and his playing is really nice . . . of course he's only on one of the CD's, as the other is Ben solo. Overall, he's got solid lines, nice embellishes and a great sound.