Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ben Harper on Letterman

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 11, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did anyone catch Ben Harper on the Letterman show last night?

I came in near the end. What kinda bass was Juan Nelson playing? Had that crisp Sadowsky look but it didn't look like it said "Sadowsky" on the headstock. I want to say the logo looked like the Lull logo. This is just based on a very brief glimpse so that could be way off.

That Reggae line was tight. Juan grooves!

brad cook

2. didnt he mostly play MTDs?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Yeah. I've never seen an MTD that resembles a Sadowsky though.

brad cook

4. true, but id bet it was a sadowsky.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I think it was a Lull,or maybe it was a Atelier Z,
    Then again it could have been a Sadowsky.
    all in all nice bass,bad bass player.

6. whats wrong with juan? i think hes a fine player and what about the bassline for "Steal My Kisses"?

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I missed this performance, but picked up the new album. First listen, I love it, but the new AFI's been getting all the listening time this week. I'll get around to the Ben Harper next week to get a better feel for the album.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was assuming that he meant "bad" as in "good." (badass)

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I haven't heard the new one. Hope it's better than Burn to Shine.

brad cook

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I recorded the show. Looks like a Fender to me, probably a Custom Shop judging by the Maple neck with pearl block inlays. It's a Fender headstock with 5 in line tuners with string tree, other than the inlays it looks just like a MIA Jazz Deluxe V.

Sounded great.

11. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas

Great song!!!

12. the difference between bad (bad) and bad (Good) is the pronunciation. bad (good) is pronounced Bayd like youre from the south.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've always thought Juan was a very tasteful bassist- does exactly what he needs to, when he needs to-tight grooves. I wish I would have known Ben was on Letterman, I've always been a big fan. I liked several tracks on Burn to Shine, and I'd say its a toss up between that and WIll to Live as my favs of his. I have his older stuff too, but its not quite as enjoyable for me. I hadn't heard he released a new album- what's the title?

14. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Exactly..

Thanks for clearing that up.;)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you heard Fight for Your Mind? Fantastic album from 1995 and his best to date IMO. Really great stuff. I was very dissappointed with Burn to Shine. Just seems very bland when I listen to it (with the exception of Steal My Kisses), especially compared to Fight for Your Mind. Just my two cents.

brad cook

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    New album is called "Diamonds on the Inside" and it just came out Tuesday. Best Buy has it for $10.99 right now.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man I missed the show.. I was asleep so I wouldn't have caught it anyways. :(.. Juan is a great bassist. I have some live recordings of Them playing where Juan just goes off on some really tasty solos..