1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben Orr's sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by EriktheRed, Oct 12, 2009.

1. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    I asked in another forum, but maybe this is a better one.

Anyone have any idea how Ben achieved the sound he got out of his stingray in the short solo toward the end?

2. Do you mean that little 8th-note sequence beginning at 3:39?

No offense, but that's hardly a solo.

I think it's just Ben using a pick near the bridge, bright humbucker, and Elliot Easton doubling the part on guitar.

Anyone hear something I don't?

3. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Not sure here, but on the studio recording of the same song it sounds to me like he's using an Octave pedal or bass synth pedal of some sort. Cool bass line.

T

4. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Well, whatever you call it, I've heard that sound on a couple of other songs and always thought it was a keyboard. I only have a single split-rail pickup, but I'll give picking near the bridge a shot with the bass and amp set as high as possible.

:bassist:

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I never knew Ben Orr sang lead on that song. Thought it was Ocasek... they sound a lot alike.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    On the studio version I'm almost positive it was a keyboard.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ben Orr was not much for effects live except for chorus, and he did that line on several different basses throught the Cars' live days, and it always sounds the same. The night I saw the Cars in 79, he did it on a Precision, I believe. On this night in 84, he definitely used a Precision:

On the studio version, it's being doubled by something doing an octave down and a keyboard synth. Can't tell what the octave down is. But live I don't hear the octave down, and on that clip I posted, I can't even hear a synth doubling it. You could use an envelope filter and an octave box to recreate the studio sound to a certain degree. But on the live clips I don't hear any effects on the bass at all. Just whatever bass through a mic'ed SVT. That's what it sounds like to me.