1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben Roethlisberger - Suspended for six games

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. What a dumbass. If he's done what he's accused of, what a piss poor excuse for a person. If he hasn't, well, don't shop for 20 year old ass in Georgia when you're a 2 time Superbowl winning QB. The least you'll pick up is something you can't put down...like the clap. At worst? A sexual battery charge.

Mike

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I remember hearing that the max a player can be suspended is 4 games (perhaps it's a player association stipulation). Someone is trying to make a statement, but 6 games out is nearly half the season.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What a load of crap. Six games for allegations. Nice one Goodell. :rollno:

-Mike

4. bassface73

bassface73 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT
    As you probably know, the Player Personal Conduct Policy does not rely on convictions and has nothing to do with the law or the judicial system. It relates solely to player conduct, nothing more. He does deserve a suspension, but I would think more like three games or so.

Also, how could such a "winner" be such an utter and complete LOSER?!

5. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    So many dynamics to this whole ordeal. You have the fact that Ben is a rich and powerful figure, and we know what women (and really people in general) do to try and get money from those types of people. We also have Ben being a moron and putting himself in situations where a suspension is the only answer. But all things considered, Donte Stallworth killed a human being and was suspended for just one season, only 10 more games than Ben's suspension. That's a headscratcher.

Goodell is doing everything he can to establish his player conduct policy, which I have nothing but the upmost respect for. Athletes need to stop living a fairy tale life and realize that with today's media, they can't even take a poop on their neighbor's lawn without every set of ears in the country hearing about it

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Goodell changes it as he sees fit. It was initially created to punish crimes, not allegations of crimes.

The Steelers aside, Goodell is walking a fine line here and I think he has just crossed it.

-Mike

7. bassface73

bassface73 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT
  8. You should read the details of what happened MULTIPLE TIMES where Ben behaved like a -------. A good starting point would be "The Smoking Gun". I'm no fan of Goodell btw.

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    People will bring this up forever, but to clarify.........

The pedestrian was crossing a six lane highway and not using the crosswalk. He was running to catch a bus.

Yes, Stallworth was inebriated, but someone sober could have easily been involved in the same accident. The pedestrian wasn't following the law either. As much as Stallworth was dumb for driving drunk, the pedestrian was risking his life crossing a 6 lane highway without a crosswalk. Hence the "easy" sentence.

10. LSquared

LSquared

Jul 28, 2009
    SW Illinois USA
    I've been a Steeler fan since 1970, and Rothlesberger is my 10 y/o son's favorite player. It's been no fun trying to explain the dynamics of Ben's "transgressions"...

I hope they trade him, even though it would hurt the team's record. Leaving aside the question of "crimes", there's something very very wrong about a 28 year old millionaire trolling college bars for bathroom sex with dunk (underage) co-eds.....

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I broke a vase once. 'The Commissioner' was not happy.

12. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to think that Ben was really getting the shaft, and that based on allegations, not convictions, the guy didn't deserve punishment. But, after more information came out and I gave it some thought, I think Ben was also walking a fine line and he crossed it.

I agree that Ben got nailed for allegations, but he has a history of putting himself in situations of risk. Whether it's breaking his contract riding a motorcycle, or putting himself in compromising situations. Sure, the guy has a right to go out to a bar, but most folks don't have Pittsburgh cops as body guards to watch a bathroom while the guy does the nasty. The sexual assault is up for grabs, and at this point it's nothing but allegations. But, having sex in public is against some local laws, and for what's supposed to be a family sport, it tarnishes the NFL image.

Yes, it sucks that celebrities get targeted by gold diggers, and face more public scrutiny that results in them not having fun and doing stupid stuff like everyone else does without public outcry. But those folks also get special privileges that get them off of stuff that many of us would be going to jail and spending our life savings to get out of. Based on trends Ben was really milking his privilege, and short of a hard punishment, it probably wouldn't stop.

Seriously, if you're using Pittsburgh's finest for your party guards, you're not just putting a team and it's image in jeopardy, but the city as well.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I like Goodell. In a league full of prima donnas who act as they please on and off the field, I'm glad someone in a position of authority is finally holding them accountable for it. Is it a bit dicey that these suspensions aren't based on convictions? Sure, without a doubt. I happen to fall on the side that believes that if you're going to put yourself in an ambiguous situation, you better have concrete evidence that what you're doing is on the up and up (insert erection joke here). In high school, I can see adopting a 'boys will be boys' policy on some offenses and letting things slide. But in a business that's beleaguered by bad press generated by rich people acting like they're above reproach, I'm happy to see a harsh stance taken to defend the notion that participation in the league is a privilege to be earned by talent AND character.

Having said all that, Goodell really should lighten up on the end zone celebration rules, but methinks that's for another thread.

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    commish-last. ?

15. I thought we had some standards here on TB.

Where is her picture? How can we stand in judgment without her picture?

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Agree with everything here. You want to nail a girl in the bathroom? Fine with me, but you better make damn sure she's cool with it, and you ought to have spent the minimum amount of time with her to be sure she's not going to run off to the law and the press to squeeze you for money. If you aren't sure of those things, keep it in your pants.

And any time you've got a hired team (cops or not) preventing your hook-up's friends from getting to her, you're in the wrong. If she'd really rather be with you, she can tell 'em to buzz off on her own. Only two people in the world know if legal justice was served by dropping the indictment, but the league did what it had to do, and Ben should be ecstatic that it's only the league who has come down on him.

17. opinions on who likes who aside, how you can suspend ANYONE from ANYTHING if they havent been convicted of anything? if your neighbor calls the police to say that you hit him, and you didnt, and he cant prove you did, then you shouldnt be hauled off the jail.

democracy still applies to the rich and the famous.

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I am familiar.

You guys disagreeing with me are missing my point. Roger Goodell created the PCP to punish players who were arrested or charged for crime. A conviction was not required though. In this case, Ben was not convicted, charged, or arrested. Goodell edited his policy now to include allegations. THAT is what I have a problem with.

Ben has made some really bad decisions, but not unusual for someone his age. It sucks and it really pisses me off for what he has done to the city of Pittsburgh, let alone the flippin' football team.

But for Goodell to now be punishing allegations only is very dangerous. Just you guys wait till it happens to a player you care about.

-Mike

19. Easy. His job has rules. As an example. I'm allowed to leaglly drink in a bar. I do it all the time. If I drink on my lunch hour, however legal, I'll still be fired. My job's rules and the law don't always jive. Neither do Ben's.

Mike