1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben Shepherd at Soundgarden's show in Detroit

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jdaunt, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0715.JPG i was at the Soundgarden show Wednesday, 3rd row behind the pit right in front of Ben. Got some pretty good pictures on my phone (cameras were prohibited). He sounded great, wasn't as energetic early in the show as I had seen him be in concert footage of the band, but as the show went on he picked up the intensity-finishing off with setting his bass on top of his head and cab, then pushing the whole rig over. Played mostly his Ric and had Baron (the MIM P) for a few songs.

2. Trying to date his Ricky.

In line knobs and neck pup closer to the neck.....if I'm right...mid-73 to mid-75?

Looks quite similar to my Feb '74.....

3. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Not sure. I know i've read, and they said in the Rig Rundown from a few years back, that he got it right at the beginning of the King Animal tour. But i don't know any other background on it, and didn't see much info at all from a quick Google search. But he played it most of the night and his tone sounded great!

4. Cool info....and awesome photos!

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Cool pics. Your ticket stub is gonna be worth a lot of street cred.

metallicafan18 likes this.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    He is really underrated imo. Love me some Ben Shepherd. His tone and style remind me of Geezer.

MAJOR METAL likes this.
  7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Shame to see gear getting treated that poorly, especially if that is a vintage Ricky. In this day and age it is totally try-hard and hackneyed , but then again Soundgarden did have a '70s throwback thing going on so maybe mild gear demolition is all part of the trip.

As for Ben the bassist, I can't get too excited about him but he does his job. When I think of Soundgarden I don't really think of inventive bass playing or tasty bass lines, just a big guy loping around with his bass down at his knees. He serves the song, I guess, which is a discipline in and of itself.

Tanner5382 and seang15 like this.
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I love Soundgarden! I'm wondering if the gear toppling was a overnight sort of thing, or if it was special for this show for some reason. I'd guess thats a newer Rick but I'm not good with them.
    If it is an every night thing, seems like a hard way to run a show. Maybe the head is a dummy, but I can't see the Rick lasting very long with 2 8x10s and an SVT coming down...

Oh yea and

O PricelineNegotiator.jpg

JGbassman and seang15 like this.
  9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Wow man, that's one historic show you went to.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  10. Some bass players wank, some bass players groove, and some bass players hold it down and get the job done. Ben gets it done. No need to be "inventive" to be a good player.

11. I read in the Amps section that laying an 810 on its side is sacrilege and sounds god-awful. How do two stacked horizontal 810's sound? Or is that a 610 atop an 810?

12. Lol...
    That's what age does to a man...

Rabidhamster and seang15 like this.
  13. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Ben is so underrated. His solo album is one of my fave releases of the last few years. Its under the name HBS if anyone is interested. So sad that will
    be it for SG.

murphy and swspiers like this.
  14. Totally agree. He was very underrated as a player, and a pretty good song-writer. Ben took SG from a basic garage-band vibe and added a lot of versatility and style to them. But yeah, my arms go numb just seeing how he plays his bass...

murphy likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow. Old guy in a suit kicking over an amp.

Strange......

Pick one or the other, big guy. Dress the part and kick over and amp. Or rock the suit and sensible shoes and don't try to be a rock star last second.

Just seems......odd.

Love the guy's work. But come on.... that's just weird.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  16. What you're doing is picking categories. Be this or be that, and do none of the other...
    One doesn't need to belong to a category to do anything. Think outside the box...

17. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Come on though, it's just corny.

18. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    First time I saw him was 92' and he had that jazz bass literally on the ground. Blew my mind. Really fun to watch love for sure. Always loved the wooly 60's influence he has in his tone and note choice. Especially on tunes like Burden in my Hand.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  19. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Maybe he was mad at his Ampeg rig.....Didn't he used to use Mesa Boogie?

Rabidhamster likes this.
  20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

More likely he was having Precision Bass withdrawals and the Ric sent him over the edge.

JulienP. and Rabidhamster like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021