Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ben Shepherd vs. Hiro Yamamoto

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NeoTrotskyist, Jun 26, 2001.

1. NeoTrotskyist

NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    I know Soundgarden's been broken up for a while, but they are still one of my all time favorite bands, and I was wondering who everyone thinks their better bassist was. Ben Shepherd played on Badmotorfinger, Superunknown and Down On the Upside, which (in my opinion) were generally better than Screaming Life/Fopp, Ultramega Ok and Louder than Love (the albums Hiro played on). but I think that Hiro's basslines were better and more complex. what does everyone else think?

2. Hiro was probably a better bassist but you can tell that the band had a better chemistry with ben shepard, Just look at the albums.

3. pattonpwr

pattonpwr

Nov 5, 2011
    Hiro was great but nobody can beat Ben's stage presence and attitude. Also I find Ben a much better song writter.

4. animvl

animvl

Feb 25, 2007
    Sheffield
    I agree with your opinions, everyone, better music with Shepherd but Yamamoto was probably the better bassist. I like Shepherds fondness for power chords though.

You state they've "been broken up a while", surely you are aware they have reformed and are in the process of a new album?

5. T Bassman

T Bassman tysonmaiko.com Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Vulcan, AB, Canada
  6. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    \

This thread is 10 years old.

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Someone REALLY wanted to talk about Ben Sheperd.

8. And if he started a new thread he woulda got bagged on for it. No winning on the interwebz.

9. T Bassman

T Bassman tysonmaiko.com Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Vulcan, AB, Canada
    Someone REALLY wanted to talk about Ben Sheperd.

__________________ I guess a few of us do ;-p

10. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I'm a big fan of Shepherd's lines on Badmotorfinger

11. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    It's all about Shepherd, no way that Hiro was a better bassist or writer, The whole band were still finding their feet on the first few albums, the only guy on fire from the get go was Cameron, other than that they were just relentlessly pummeling the same route trying to find a sound, listen back and you'll see what I mean. Getting there on LTL, they peaked on Badmotorfinger, Superunknown was more refined and DOTU is one of those albums you appreciate more on a return trip, a lot of subtlety.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For a Soundgarden fan, I've done a fairly terrible job of listening to the Hiro era material, mostly because it just doesn't stand up to the Ben era material. That's not a comment on the quality of the bass playing, but definitely a comment on the quality of the songwriting. Ben was a heavy contributor to Down on the Upside in terms of songwriting, and you can also feel his influence on Badmotorfinger and Superunknown.

In terms of favorite bass players, Ben's not on my list, but in terms of being a gifted songwriter who helped to improve the focus of one of my favorite bands, he's very much appreciated.

13. I like em both, hard to pick. I do like Soundgarden's early punkish material more. Flower is the first SG bassline that comes to mind...

I'd have to go with Hiro.. Plus, Circle of Power cracks me up every time...

14. YorkNew

YorkNew

Feb 1, 2012
    Ben Sheperd is the man.

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Louder Than Love is still my favorite album(followed closely by Badmotorfinger), but Ben IS the man. Definetly!!!

16. fbny71

fbny71

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Same here.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
  18. Sphereside

Sphereside

May 30, 2012
    Like both sounds, but Ben's sound, choice notes and power along with the songwriting ability really did change the hole direction of SG. Love it all though and really looking forward to the new record.