Ben Street and Matt Penman

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Chris Landry, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Has anybody checked out these bass players? They are right now my favorite and am always looking for info on their gigs or information about recordings they have done. If you haven't checked them out. Let me know I can fill you in on what I know.
  2. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    Ben's for sure one of my favourite too. He's a great inspiration on me. I like his earthy tone, melodic sense and facility to mix meters, without getting attention on him at any cost. He really understands the function of the bass in music. I think this is the way the bass should be played.
  3. can anybody recommend some recordings to check them out on? what i have heard of ben street i have really liked (mostly with ben monder), but i'd like to check out more. thanks.
  4. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    As to Ben Street, for example, you can check out:

Danilo Perez - ...Till then
    - Live at the Jazz Showcase

Sam Rivers - Purple Violets

Ben Monder - Dust

...enjoy :)
  5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I first heard Ben Street on some stuff he did with Kurt Rosenwinkel. Check out Rosenwinkel's "Enemies of Energy" or "Zhivago". The first is one of my all-time jazz album favs. Lots of great loose/broken-feel bass accompaniement.
  6. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    LANDRY! How the hell are ya? Xar here.
    Matt Penman kicks serious arse on (phenomenal) trumpeter Matt Schulman's CD, While We Sleep. Ben Street rules the universe with Sephardic Tinge, which happens to be on my favorite label, Zorn's Tzadik, with Anthony Coleman and Michael Sarin, my favorite whacked-out, insanely good drummer. If you haven't heard these, drop everything and do so!
  7. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I first heard Ben Street about 10 years ago at Time Cafe. He was playing with a Singer/Songwriter who sounded a bit like Rickie Lee Jones at the time. I really liked the way he played and his tone which was really woody. I think I told him in between sets that he was one of the best young guys I'd heard in a while.
  8. Ben Street is amazing. His tone, time, sensitivity and attention to detail are top shelf. I had the good fortune of taking a lesson with him and having him show me how good your ears and your time have to be to even to begin to play like him. His playing with Danilo Perez in almost mind boggling because of there mixed meters and the superimposed meters along with the harmony and high level improv. I have pretty ok ears and get lost listening to them.
    The one thing that he did tell me, that was most important, is that you have to be emotional connected to the music you want to play. For me, I really grow tired of playing quarter notes and head-solo-solo-head forms. He agreed with me and told me that I should really spend time on what I want to be doing but not leaving out the fundementals.
    Also, I wish he still play with Rosenwinkel I love that cat, his compositions and Ben made that band sound great.

PS- Ben is also on Cyndi Lauper's Standards album.... what a trip that must of been....
  9. boneham

Oct 28, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    If anyone is still interested...
    Matt Penman's CD The Unquiet is amazing. Such a great player.
    He is also on pianist Sean Wayland's records such as Lurline and his new CD Expensive Habit.
    The German Band Root 70 with Nils Wogram is also great with Matt on bass.
    Check out his stuff if you are keen, i think he sounds great...kinda in a similar place in the world of jazz double bass to Ben Street who is also extreamly wicked.
  10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Scope Ben Street on last year's record by Billy Hart's Quartet. The band is Hart drumming, Ben on bass, Ethan Iverson on piano and Mr. Mark Turner on tenor. Look out!

One of the nicest concerts I've seen was the "Rosenwinkel-less" trio live in Gorham -- Ben, Mark Turner and Jeff Ballard. What a band! Ben played wicked hard stuff, spot-on in tune, and was a stellar example of using what you've got to best advantage.

IMR Ben grew up in Gorham, Maine. His dad is Bill Street, noted mouthpiece maker, horn-repairer, educator and saxophonist. Bill's still kicking up dust in his 80s -- no moss grows on that man.
  11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Great record!!!
  12. -Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt plays on Australian guitarist James Muller's album Kaboom
    And it is brilliant. Such a good album
  13. tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Another great album with Matt Penman is Chris Cheek's Vine...definitely worth checking out.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I saw Matt Penman play with the Brad Shepik Trio when I was in High School (probably when this thread was started). It was a very ear-opening experience for me.
  15. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Saw Matt yesterday night with the Joe Lovano San Francisco Jazz Collective here in Quebec City.
    Great player!
    Its sound was very boomy though.
    I was too far to ID its strings, but my guess was guts.
  16. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ben Street is playing soon at Smalls, with Ethan Iverson and Albert "Tootie" Heath (!!!).