1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben Street's Set-up

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jake, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I just listened the Billy Hart's 2006 Quartet CD and am really impressed/inspired by Ben Street's bass sound. Aside from having good intonation, etc, does anybody know how he gets that sound? Which strings, what kind of bass, what mic, amp, etc???

2. I played Bens' bass about a year ago. I don't know what type of bass it is, but I do know he had Velvet Garbos with a low action and a realist pick-up.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

3. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    Thanks Mike. Man, Grenadier and Ben Street both use Garbos from what I hear. My local luthier showed me a set and I have to say they were pretty scary looking, the winding and the copper color. If that's what it takes to get a sound like those guys, I guess I might do it someday. They're just about impossible to bow right?

4. Garbos aren't unbowable, it's just that they don't sound very good with the bow :crying: For practising, they're fine.

BTW, according to Arnold, Larry Grenadier uses different strings these days...

5. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    ...Apart from the Garbos...Ben's sound comes from himself...

6. What a concept!:D

7. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    Yeah...I realized it was so obvious too late :D
    But I think the setup has not so much to do with the sound that comes out, in general. When you have a clear concept of sound in your head, you likely sound about the same regardless of instrument, strings, etc.

Merry XMas ;)

8. I don't think Larry G is using a full set of Garbos now. The last time I saw him play (last year) he had Heliocore E, A, D, and a Garbo G. But he still had his sound.