1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Benard Edwards..pick or no pick

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Guess you learn something new, but I am looking real close at this and it looks like he is using his fingers instead of a pick??? at any rate, one of my favorites!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A couple of months there was a two part series on Edwards. Nile Rodgers said he would hold his fingers like he had a pick although he just used his fingers.

3. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Dr. that is just what it looks like in the video, my hats off to him, and it looks like a MM he is playing as well, but it sure sounds like something else...

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My hat is always off to Bernard. He is as close to an all time favorite I have although Marcus Miller, Anthony Jackson, Paul Jackson, Stanley Clarke, Michael Henderson, Mark Adams, and Chris Squire fit in the mix too.:cool:

5. That's right. I just read that a while back in either Bass Player or Bass Guitar magazine. It also said due to this technique his fingers would end up bleeding! :eek:
    No thanks! Not for me! :)

6. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    You're right it does. I'm not sure what bass was used on the song "Everybody Dance".

According to Marcus Miller, Bernard told him a Precision was used on the classic song "Good Times".

http://www.marcusmiller.com/faq.html?category=5&faqid=105&color=20

That link is courtesy of a contributor from another thread. Perhaps it might have even have been this bass:

http://www.chictribute.com/index2.html

The band is lip-synching the two hits from their first album on AB.

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    bernard is the man. i love his playing, he is one of my main influences.

There have been many threads on Bernards technique. He used his fingers Like a Pick to get that sound.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Yo, I read that Marcus thread you posted, the last part to me was funny...>>>

"I met Bernard shortly after and told him I bought the BC Rich but couldn't get that cool sound. He said, "Man I didn't play a BC Rich on that album. I played my Fender Precision!" I said, "But you have the BC Rich on the album cover." He said, "Yeah, well the BC Rich looks good, so I take pictures with it!"
    God rest his soul...... "

9. I believe he called the "fingers-in-a-pick-holding-position-with-no-pick" technique "chucking."

I don't think he played everything that way, but just some passages, such as the "Everybody Dance" intro/solo.

10. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    and if you don't want to hurt you ;) - do it with a Pick :p

J.

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    For me "good times" sounds like it was recorded with the Music Man but... whatever, he was a great player.

12. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I'm a Metal guy but Bernard is one of my favourite players ever. I was actually playing Everybody Dance last night, it's a tough line to get right. Dunno if I wanna play it like that though, I'd probably lose a fingernail :D