Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente 51 owners: please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 24, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I need a 5-string P-bass. It has to nail the P-bass sound "exactly", or at least be so close that for all practical purposes it's indistinguishable from the real (4-string) thing. I keep hearing about the Benavente 51 in this context, and my question is, to those of you who own one, how close does it really come to nailing the P-bass sound? Does it have a passive mode, or is the active preamp on all the time? And, in terms of tonal capability above and beyond the vintage P-bass sound, can I get any modern sounds out of it too, like is it any good for slapping? And if I were to get one, what would be the good wood combination? I'm strongly inclined towards a maple fingerboard, and what about the body? Are there any other options that I need to consider (or should consider)? Is there anywhere in the Los Angeles area I can get my hands on one so I can listen to it and play it for a while?

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    nonsqtr

I’ll try and answer and clear up anything I can. As for dealer’s, you can look on the dealer page at the Benavente site. There’s a couple of dealer’s that are member’s or talkbass as well as Bass Electric & Acoustic in CA. Juan at BE & A has a couple of Benavente’s, but none are the 51 P.

Please understand the Benavente 51 is a body style and can be configured any many different ways to suite your needs. You can get one with a P style, J style, PJ, PP, JJ, J-dual coil, two dual coils. So the pickup configuration is totally up to you. Speddling, a Mod on TB has a 5 with JJ and a 6 with a single dual. Biker4him has a 51 being built with double P’s in it and a Vortex with JJ‘s. My point is that many people have different desired and there are a few more guys here that have different configuration. A tradition 51 has a single Jazz like pickup in the P position, but you could have a P style installed or even a dual coil or wide pickup for added bottom end and depth.

I’ll be happy to talk pickup setups with you and your welcome to go to any dealer as well and discuss price. Depending on how traditional you want to go depends on the pickup setup you want to go with. The Benavente preamp is a passive/active preamp, but the 51 come standard passive. Wood combinations are endless. Alder or Mahogany body would be standard or you can go to an ash or even Black Limba or Korina. Finish and color is totally up to you as well or adding a Flame maple top or quilt. Options are endless it all depends on the end product you would like. It can be as traditional or as modern..........

as for listening, James speddling has a number of sound clips with his 51 JJ 5 string and 51 6 string fretless dual coil.
    http://www.hartsafire.com/wake/music.htm
    http://www.hartsafire.com/benavente.htm

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine are both active. the fretted 5 was built to my specs as a Jazz (Dimarzio ultra) in a 51P suit. ash/maple... Marcus type thang.

My 6 although also ash/maple has a dual coil wired to a series/parallel in the P spot. so it's very close... but not ment to be an exact match.

I've got a new pre to install in the fretted 5 that will give me a active/passive push/pull knob.

the one I posted in the other thread owned by msellers is a passive p/j

and if you want a split p...

look here

[​IMG]

[edit] I typed this before Paul took TB down for a moment... and before Brian's post. [/edit]

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Above is actually a Vintage Vortex which can be done with a PJ setup as well or even just a P if you wanted. Here is a right handed Vintage ortex with double J. But again is could be setup however you like.

[​IMG]

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Brian,

I'm looking for the same thing but in a "J-Bass". I didn't see the answer to one of nonsqtr's questions, so I'll restate for him and myself.

- Does Benavente have a pup or pup/pre combination that when paired with a Benavente bass will NAIL the Fender P tone/vibe?

- Does Benavente have a pup or pup/pre combination that when paired with a Benavente bass will NAIL the Fender J tone/vibe?

JB

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would say yeah.

Just stick with the basics:
    Ash or alder body
    Bolt on neck
    Maple or rosewood fingerboard
    Single P in the traditional P position
    Passive electronics

Peace
    Nick

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, sorry.

We have our slim style pickup, which is a Jazz style pickup, and with the passive function you can go after the vintage old school sound. These also are extremely flexible because our Jazz style pickup will do series/parallel/single coil. We also have a New P Benavente pickup that is in the works that does the Vintage Vibe and very ballsy.

Understand that every P or J pickup by a different make has a little different sound so if you want a 70’s P you might want a 70’s P. I can make my basses sound as Vintage as the player wants and have the added benefit of playing better and be more tone flexibility.

But even two 70's P basses will sound totally different. So I guess what I need to know is what P bass sound are you wanting or can you send me a sample? Because I've heard a lot of P bass tones and while they achieve a P sound with different pickups I'm not sure which is they tone you want.

Tone and your happiness is something that has to be achieved and in the end determined by you. I can only lead you in the direction in which I feel will achieve that, but in the end its something you have to just hear. Playing any brand to test and see if its the brand for you is a good option but in the end the bass you play might not have been built for the desire your wanting and there for might give you a bad impression when in reality it might be the brand for you, just not setup the way you need it to be.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Now that looks familiar... :smug: :cool:

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Yea, I know I saw a picture of someone holding that thing ............ ;)

10. Hey nonsqtr,
    My Vortex does a very close jazz in passive mode. But it's so much more versatile. I'm looking forward to my 51 being built with the dual P's. I'm really hoping for the ultimate in P bass's . I think that with so many electronic options these days, you should be able to nail the tome you are looking for with the Benavente 51. Plus the addition of so much more than an old P would offer you. It's just a matter of knowing what you want, and then using the knowledge of those that are willing to offer it, to get you the right ingredients (woods, electronics, etc) to get there.

Now.... forgive me, but I'm going to intgercept this thread for a minute....

Hey Brian.... what's with this??? Sounds interesting... is this something that might be put in mine, or are we sticking to the original plan?

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Those P pickups are what will be in your 51 double P setup.
    Have no fear my friend!!!!! :bassist: It will ROCK

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

FYI: those are all my fretted 5. I've only recorded 2 tracks with the 6 so far (it's only been a week)...

http://www.hartsafire.com/mp3/Secret_Echo_Helm_of_Sorrows.mp3
    just a groove to a loop

http://www.hartsafire.com/mp3/unnamed_5-21-04.mp3
    unfinished line to one of my bands tunes.

I'll try to record some of the variety of tones it gets over the upcoming weekend