Benavente 51 P5-string w/ new neck..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Mar 14, 2006.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I picked this up back in Oct 2005 from Adrian and I liked it, but found the old headstock with the 5 in a row tuners too cumbersome.. I ordered a new neck and just got the bass back today.. I decided to go with a rosewood board because I prefer it and I thought it would help warm up the EMG pickups in it.. The EMG's still suck, but I have some Duncans that will be going in soon.. I also went with a 4 & 1 tuner array and it's much better in my opinion...:hyper: When I first received the bass and when I got it back it plays great... Chris builds some nice stuff... I also had a tortoiseshell guard made for it and I also have a pic of the original guard, but i forget what it's called.. I eventually may refinish the bass in more of a butterscotch finish, but that will wait... Let me know what you think... Steve..

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it ! :bassist:
  3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Looks great man! Chris does amazing work. What neck wood did you have before?
  4. SCT1422

It was a maple board.. I may sell it or keep it with the bass..
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The rodent approves!:cool:
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    nice. and, yeah, get those damn EMG's out! every variation i've played of them has been a sonic disgrace. :D
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'll be a 51-5 owner shortly. You have a good point about 5-inline being cumbersome, but even if I'd known about the 4+1 headstock I probably wouldn't have chosen it simply because the 5-inline has the vintage vibe. But I like the 4+1 design also. Congrats!
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool! it kinda looks like my fretless 6 headstock (5+1).

I've not had a problem with the 5 inline on my 5 string... but I've only owned and played 5 strings with inline headstocks since 1990.
  9. SCT1422

Yours and there also was a 8 string that the headstock is similar to... I do like the vintage look of the 5 in-line, I was just afraid of killing somebody accidently with the thing though..:hyper:
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: I hear that, that first one in 1990 I mentioned was a Carvin LB75 with the "Guitarist Killer" pointy inline 5 headstock :smug:
  11. SCT1422

Back in 1991 I was playing in a local rock group and I nailed one of the female singers in the back of the head with the headstock.. Lucky for her between the big hair and the hair spray which was popular back then, she didn't feel a thing..
    But it sure left a nice dent in her hairdo...:hyper: