Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente 51 !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Apr 22, 2005.

1. http://www.jesusrocks.ws/51p.htm

I've had this bass for two weeks now... still haven't had the time to write a decent review... but wow.. this bass turned out to be everything I hoped it would.

Thanks Chris, Thanks Brian.

[​IMG]

2. I clicked on this hoping you would have dropped a down payment on a 51-string bass. Damn!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Looks killer!

I think we need to get a new Club together... the "Benavente 51 + Schroeder Cabinets + Pro Cables & Sound Club"

:bassist:

I can't what for the review!

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice axe!!!!!

5. Those 51P's really appeal to me. I usually don't like flame paint jobs, but this one is subtle. Very nice.

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Love it! Sweet!

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    It turned out awesome I thought. I love the metalic flames and when light hits them........

Glad your enjoying it!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Cool, i love your user title i completley agree. :)

9. Thanks guys.

With my limited (not quite 4 years) of gig'n on bass, I have learned this about new gear. Never judge a piece of equipment after 30 minutes in your practice room.!!! That truth was never more immanent than with this bass. The bass arrived the day after I left town for a week. When I got home... it was waiting on me. I was a little shocked to see that it came with on of the incase bags, instead of the rectangle case my Vortex came with. But that turned out to be a great surprise. From now on, I want one for every bass I get. http://www.goincase.com/prod_guitar/prod_slimbag.php

So.. then I opened the case, and saw the bass in person for the first time. It was nice... it didn't blow me away... the flames are very subtle, a little more subtle than I first thought from the pictures on Brian's site. The headstock was huge, and the bass had fingerprints all over it. (My brother in law had picked the bass up for me since we were gone, and had opened it and inspected it for me...) Plus I hadn't slept in over 40 hours, and I had to get to the office to pull an all nighter to get ready to open my shop back up the next day.

The bass stayed in the case for a week, as I spent all my time working, trying to catch up from being gone. We had a gig that Friday... so Thursday night I spent about 30 minutes with the bass. Picking it up out of the case, it felt like the bass weighed in at 19 pounds. I strapped in and took it for a spin. The bass was very responsive... and very bright. It seemed to lack "heart" and it didn't have the overwhelming bottom end I was hoping for. (remember.. I've been working about 90 hours that week, and I hadn't picked up a bass in two weeks.) I took the strings off the bass, re-strung it with some DR black beauties adjusted the neck as it had a slow bow up, set the intonation.. and went home to bed. The next night I decided to be brave and only took the 51 for the gig. I don't know what happened.. but overnight that bass changed. Unfortunatly it didn't go on a diet. I still think it weighs 19 pounds... but it balances perfectly (probably has something to do with the massive headstock) and I don't get tired wearing it. With the bass knob all the way up.. the bass is HUGE and round. with it backed off just a little and the mids pumped slightly, and the treble set flat.. the bass will growl like lioness protecting her cubs. It'll flat scare ya! The low end is amazing, and so flipping punchy, it actually made one of my guitarist knock his guitar into the mic stand as he turned to see what was going on. (the Purity pre and the Schroeders probably help with this as well). As a bonus... I can pull the mids back, and boost a little highs.. and get the slap tone I've always wanted. I originally thought I wouldn't be doing much slap work on this bass.. then I remembered.... Um.... slap bass started on a P bass... so why not.

The response of this bass is outstanding. Even keel from low B to 12th fret on the G string. No dead spots, and every note is live. After that first gig, every guy in the band commented that even though I'd always had what they thought was the best tone they had ever heard... they all agreed this bass was "THE ONE". For this band, this bass just sat perfectly in the mix. It stands out when it's supposed, it sits in the middle when told to, and has a punch that would make Mike Tyson of the early 80's jealous. Oh... and the low end will move bowels.. and maybe even mountains.

I'm still getting to know the bass. I've played 3 more gigs with it, and several rehearsals. I'm still trying to get used to not having 2 octaves on the fretboard..not that I've really needed it... it just looks different when I glance down. By itself when I'm practicing.. it sounds fine. It sounds really good. But not GREAT! But live, I've truly never been happier. The punch,growl, and kick of the bass is all I ever dreamed it would be. I'm even glad the flames are more subtle than I thought. When I pull the bass out... no one takes a second glance. It's just a black bass. When the lights hit it, and the crowd feels it's raw power.....it gets all the attention it wants.

51 Benavente
    Mahogony body
    paduk neck
    ebony board
    two Benavente split P pickups (reversed)
    Benavente pre
    recessed strap locks.

WOW!!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: glad you dig it! :cool:

thanks for the review! Sounds like you got a killer bass!

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    THANKS for the review, I'm glad it knocks you off your rocker....... ;)

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I love that finish.....congrats on a beautiful bass!!

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks very much for the review. I'm on the B-51 waiting list myself. Mine will have a maple neck, so it might differ from yours which has a padauk neck. Regardless, it's good to know you're so happy with yours.

I understand how that goes: IME, when it comes to tone, you don't really know a bass until you've had some time to use it at the gig through your own rig.

14. Yep.... this actually worked. We got to the gig, all was well, and got back home.

All I took was me, the bass, and direct box.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    now thats the way to do it!!!!

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LOL, Henry you are my new hero. That is the coolest. Congrats on the bass. Among other things, Chris does an amazing neck/fretjob. No dead spots...period.

W

17. Yeah.. it was fun pulling up on the bike. Now that I know it will work... I'll do it some more. But as for hero...... nah... that's nothing..... I heard someone had a new baby... that's the coolest!!!

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Aww, shucks. Any two idiots can make a baby (just look at all those doing it). It takes a very special person to strap a 51P to a Harley. LOL. But thanks. The baby is beautiful, even though she doesn't have any ghost flames! (Yet?)

Will

19. just wait till she gets her first tatoo! :)

very nice bass ya got there man! love that finish! :bassist:

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm glad this thread came up again, I love looking at her!