Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente 51P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Aug 26, 2003.

1. I have been looking around at a lot of basses lately. and I have come to the conclusion that I want to get a nice 5-string. part of me likes the vintage vibe of jazz basses and RIC's and stuff. and another part of me likes the more modern stuff too. I was looking around and saw that the Low End has two 51P's going for what looks like a good price to me. and I am liking the vibe just be looking at them anyone have some expiearence with these guys. here are the ones I am seeing.

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=490&sid=4d68100f36118836a108a494660be735

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=475&sid=4d68100f36118836a108a494660be735

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ash Body, Active EMG, 9v 3 band pre, Flamed Maple Neck & Board... this bass is thunderous. Chris had built it for himself along with mine. If I had the money when it first came for sale I would have jumped on it. He's gone back to playing single cuts and has 2 other 51.
    [​IMG]

This one has caused a few arguments here at home :cool: (a night on the couch even :eek: ) If I could justify it I'd buy this one. Maple/alder, aero Passive P and a Dimarzio Ultra V. String it with flats and it's Old School thump all the way.
    [​IMG]

I love mine. very vintage to look at, very modern to play... can sound like either. I've used mine in Country, Jam-jazz and Rock settings and have had nothing but raves on tone.
    [​IMG]
    you can click my link for MP3s and more pictures

[edit] I've got a 51 Fretless on order. Ash/Maple/Ebony with an Ash covered Suhr Dual coil in the Music man spot. [/edit]

3. what would you think the sound difference on the two basses would be. I figure the PJ to be a little more classic tone and the EMG one to have a more modern tone to it. is there one that really stands out to you between the two. I listend to some of your MP3's and really like the sound.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    the PJ should run the gambit... hooked up to an outboard nailing the Victor thang and as is thru some tubes for the Dunn - Jamerson - Waters tone and still have the J to tighten it up. It might be a tad brighter then a real funk P with the maple board.

EMGs.... on Ash, I'd say HiFi AND aggressive.

Like I said, I flipped when the EMG one came up for sale (more because it was cut at the same time as mine)... but the other one :meh: maybe you shouldn't bother with it. The other is better for ya ;)

:bassist: I can't swing it, expecially with the fretless coming. But If I had the cash laying around, Brian woulda shipped me the PJ already

5. I like the pickups on the PJ better and I'm a sucker for all that vintage stuff. just found out that I live relatively close to where Benavente is located which is kinda cool. they are a about 3 hours south. thanks for the info. this is definetly something to consider closely.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    supernaut

I just saw your from Portland and Chris is in Grants Pass. The EMG 51 will be to him by the end of the week if you want to swing by and check it out. The PJ is here in Memphis at my shop. You could at least get a feel for the bass by playing the EMG bass.
    If you ever decided we could for sure build you a small outboard box with the Benavente pre in it to plug the PJ into.

7. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    Well, I went ahead and did a deal with Brian to get the 51P with the EMGs. Brian put a Demeter pre-amp in it prioring to shipping. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces through a rig yet, but the unplugged tone is great. Now I just need an extra-long gig bag to fit that monstrously long headstock. Thanks, Brian.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    one less for me to GAS over ;)

9. NICE! I am still hounding over the PJ model. one of these days it or another one like it will be mine :D

10. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I had the chance to plug this bass in today. I'm really excited about the tonal variety available from the Demeter pre-amp. I also discovered that it will fit (barely) in an Undercover gig bag. Life is good.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    CONGRATS!!!

I told you she would BITE!!!