Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 21, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Any body know anything about Benavente Bass guitars? I heard you get Fodera quality for Peavey prices. Ever seen a Bass Player review for this bass company?

2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Just bought a used Benavente singlecut 5. I am thoroughly thoroughly impressed. I called Chris the minute after I got it to hoot and holler about how great his bass is. Just a really incredible instrument.

From what I've seen them go for new, not "Peavey prices" but still much less than most Fodera basses. I have owned 3 Foderas(2 Monarchs and an Emperor Elite) and also played some friends Foderas and I believe these Singlecut basses, and I'd assume Chris' others basses considering what an outstanding job he did, are every bit as good as Fodera. Honestly ,this bass smokes the 3 Foderas I've owned.Sorry to harp on the Fodera vs. Benavente thing but I think it's a great point of comparison as far as quality. Cool basses and I've talked to Chris a few times and he is a super cool guy. Hope this helps.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Chris is a super guy and builds a wonderful bass. He hold Fodera with high respect but has no intention of being like Fodera other then the respect and quality they deserve and produce.

Might check some other news group forums to see some reviews on the Benavente's.

Thanks

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    From everything I've heard and read they're great basses. OTOH Peavey pricing? No even close.

I'm looking at a used one now.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, not peavey prices thats for sure!!!!!

The Vortex Bolt-on model in a 5 string starts around $1500. Thats with a 3-5 piece neck, mahogany or alder with a satin color finish or burst.

The 219 series and single cut's in the the mid 2000's and up.

There is a big difference from his older stuff to newer stuff. Actually a huge difference. Nice basses, but his stuff now is amazing and turning heads from all types of players.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Didn't realize the Vortex was that low... I stand corrected:D

Might need to look into one.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Don't ask me how I know all of this..........

The vortex is a very reasonable price instrument with incredible quality.

standard as I mention is alder or mahogany with satin color or burst. Dimarzio JJ's and 3 -5 piece maple neck.
    preamp (demter, U-retro), Aero's, a top, inlay's, etc are all upcharges.

But someone can get into an amazing benavente vortex very reasonably.

Good Luck, and thanks!

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sharp looking instruments. he had a few buckeye burl (i think) instruments at the namm show in annaheim that were stunning.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    :confused: :D

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
  11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Who the HECK! is Chris Benavente ?who does he think he is coming along making a very descent bass,that to my ears is a is well thought out and put together instrument.I hate Benavente basses with a passion.no but seriously I give Chris mad props for making a very good instrument.I put him in the same box with Kevin Brubaker two well deserving kats who will be around for many years to come.

12. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  13. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I got a 46!! Yippy!!

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got a 39.

I got a 36.

Woohoo! I got a 34!

15. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Benavente Basses are the best. I can't say enough good things about Chris. My old 219B stomped almost anything else I've ever played. Tone, low action, TONE, great feel. You should go buy one now. For the money they can not be beat!! This is my ex...

[​IMG]

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Whats up Jauqo! I've been working on my airline tickets for NAMM. Damn prices are high right now!

As for the golf game, I'm trying to beat Chris Benavente's kids score, who's 10 years old. His is a 20, which I say Chris is lieing, but he hasn't been able to beat it either yet, so maybe not.

17. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    off subject - I got a 47. How do you handle #18? I was doing so well until I needed like 20 some odd strokes on that one.

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Actually you can hole 18 by bouncing it off the wall at an angle. Pull the line up even, but slanted to the wall.

19. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    What would you liken the sound of a Benavente to ? Any samples would appreciated. I'm aware there are variations but is it in the Fodera ballpark ?

20 !!! jeeez, even 26, Brian. This is definitely going to eat into my work time...:D

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I warned you all. Once you start playing you can't stop.

As for the Benavente's. I would rather quote others then give my opinion. As for referrence to quality and how they rank compared to other's. I've had 3 sadowsky 5's, 5 fodera's, 2 R basses, a wal mark III 5 all traded in for benavente's! And 3 of those customers turn around and custom ordered another being there second benavente's.

As for tones, I've had people say that they were a combination of F bass and fodera on the 219 series and single cut's. The Vortex model has been compared to MTD (thats a US model) and a Wal.

Hope this helps and good luck on your golf game :D

If I ever figure out how, I'll post sound bits.