Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente - Low End Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shakey, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I couldn't find much that helped doing a search, so here ya go...

I was kicking around the notion of putting in an order from one, and just wanted to get yous guys's opinions.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome tone and playability. You know they're a collaborative effort between Brian Barrett and Chris Benavente, right? Anyway, one of the best "super-J's" around.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Great basses from what Ive seen and heard, allthough never played one. Chris and Brian wouldnt put out something that wasnt top notch though. They also make them in 7-strings! Jorg Schroeder has one he's been playing pretty exclusively as far as I know. Im sure others will chime in as well. Not to mention, Chris and Brian both post here too.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Give Brian a call and he would be more than happy to answer all of your questions. In general, the Low End Jazz basses are very similar to a Benavente Vintage Vortex, but the styling is more "traditional". Plus, if you're looking to get a quality "modern" 9-string jazz bass, they're pretty much the only way to go!!! :eek: :D

5. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Thanks for the input guys, it is greaciously received.

Out of all the botique/custom makers around I'm drawn to Benavente. I think it's due to the traditional styling of this particular bass, with the updated eletronics package.

I was aware that this was a joint-effort between Brian and Chris, and I think it's a great idea.

Also, the $1800 price-point is extremely attractive.

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    This is particularly appealing to me ......

[​IMG]

7. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Wow....it has great lines!!!!

8. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I was surprised to see a used one at my local GC a couple of months ago. Great tone and a huge body. One of the best sounding jazz basses I have tried.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    It was white?

GC in Indiana bought it or actually ordered it New. Dave at IN GC use to keep a lot of highend basses instock. Anyone in the Indiana area can vouch for that. He would have Fodera, Tobias, Rbasses, Benavente's, Elricks, Alembics, etc. But a few Months ago GC Corp came down on him after so many years and didn't like the fact he put money into highend basses like that.... even though he was making money.... So they spread them out across the US..... It was a sad day in Indi...

10. But how quickly were the basses selling? The longer the basses sit on the racks, the more costly. My local GC has/had a Pedulla that they couldn't seem to sell. It might still be there...

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I would love to try one...

12. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I really like that black Low End 6. I know the name is Low End, but I found the high end particularly sweet on that bass.
    I don't play 6s, simply because I haven't been able to afford another bass, but that LE jazz made me seriously want one.

Funny how in the pic the clear pick guard almost looks like a white/black one.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

GC Indiana was one of the highest producing GC's in the country. They were up there with LA and NY GC.

It also depends on the market in which the store is in. I know I just moved from Memphis to Nashville and in memphis there is no suport at all. I've lived there my whole life and had the LowEnd for 10 years and very little business is local, really just a few gospel guys. The GC there has had Modulus, Warrior and a number of different highend instruments, but they would do nothing but sit just like the pedulla. But it also has to be an instrument that is well known name wise and popular.

14. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    :crying:

You don't miss us Brian???
    bwahaha! Just kidding!

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

yea, I miss both of you guys......... JK

Yea, I will always miss Memphis. its tuff when you live in one place your whole life... well till your 30 and then move to a place where you have more customer's but no family other then your wife..... I hope that came out right.... ;)

Memphis is cool, I seem to have been dropping off/selling more basses when I go through memphis then I ever did when I live there.

16. I don't doubt that.

Location is very important, but did their lower-priced instruments still sell more quickly than the higher-priced instruments? So there's still the issue of cost beneficiality.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that the execs at GC couldn't make a terrible business decision. ;)

Just fyi, I think your Low End J-style basses look good. It seems they're starting to catch on. Good for you! :)

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thanks for the positive statements from those that have played them. Chris and I of course design and build all the Benavente line together, but the Jazz bass we really didn't want to use the Benavente name on so people thought... "Oh, Benavente has a Jazz too". So we used my Shop name for the Basses. Since the LE Jazz basses are so different then tradition with the 3 pc neck, Benavente pickups and pre, etc... actually more custom bass that looks like a traditional Jazz we wanted to try and place it in a fresh light and not follow the trend of other builders putting a solid pc Jazz neck on a body to appeal to the Jazz guys. We really wanted to offer something that hasn't been offered in the Jazz vibe and to the extended range players.

The LowEnd Jazz basses is very much like the New Divinity Guitar Work line we just came out with all by Benavente Guitars. It give Chris and I other avenues to build threw with out lumping everything into one brand Name.

Thanks and hope that helps clear up the LE Jazz to Benavente guitars.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Plays like dog crap, tho, right? At least that's been my GC experiences. Don't touch them, don't spend a minute on them doing anything that might help move them faster, just hang them on the wall and act surprised when people put them back. (duuuuhhhhhhhhh) :rolleyes:

19. I never played it, but I did hear people make positive comments about it while they played it, but nobody seemed willing to pay so much for it...

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Odd... if it was set up correctly, it shoulda' moved, because a lot of times GC doesn't have a problem if it's just a matter of matching or beating a given price. I guess it'd boil down to if they were positive about the playability as well or just the sound.

I could go on about my total amazement in how they make their decisions, but that'd be heading towards thread derailment, and it's been beaten well anyway. 'nuff said. :)