Benavente, Mtd or Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Apr 24, 2005.

Choose one

Poll closed May 1, 2005.
  1. Sadowsky NYC Vintage 5, '59

70 vote(s)
  2. MTD 535 Burl

58 vote(s)
  3. Benavente single cut 5

41 vote(s)
  1. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Which one for Rock, Blues, Jazz, Pop?
    Or: Which One is the most versatile?
  2. I have to choose MTD...just great quality basses

BTW, talk to Mike Dimin about MTDs
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Too my mind when it comes to VERSITILITY there is no question, MTD.s and Beneventes are excellent instruments and may do some things better, but no one makes and instrument that excells and fillis in the mix the way Rogers doo!! Put one vote down for Sadowsky! I've owned Alembic, Tobias, Warwick, Pedulla,Kubicki and High end Yamaha. But with all those instruments I always wanted something else or something more for certan situations. Now I just want more Sadowskys! IT"S A DISEASE :D
  4. Unfortunately, the only one I have played is Tobias. My friend had a pre- Gibson neck-through five and it was amazing. I could have bought that bass for about a grand a few years ago. I kick myself now for not doing it. It was an amazingly versitile bass with killer tone! Now I see used ones on ebay going for way more than that.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have owned 2 Sadowsky basses and i have one being built and i think their preamp combined with their wood selection make an instrument of many diverse and excellent tones.
  6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Heck, this is easy.
    By far the most versitle bass I've ever owned.
    Most stable included at one time or another:
    F Bass
    Bene & MTD are both sweet as hell, but the Sadowsky's just always work. I've used it for jazz, funk, R&B, country, rock and it killed everytime.
    BUT!!!! The Benavente Vintage Vortex bass-Whoa buddy!!! That is one smoking bass.
    I played one in Nashville a few years ago and it knocked me out. I would check that one out first if a Benavente is the route you going.
    Or just get a Sadowsky :D
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    MTD and Sadowsky are both very nice bass, but all three are very different instrument. For the Benavente SC to really even be compared, you would have to look at a SC Bolt-on. The LowEnd Jazz bass (made by Benavente) is going to really be closer to the Sadowsky, but still very different being a custom Jazz with 3 pc neck and other options with series/single coil/parallel flexibility. The SC Bolt-on will be a little more suited to compare tot he MTD, both being bolt-ons and 24 frett, but you would also have to go with the Benavente Wide’s and not the Slim’s. The slim’s would get you closer to the sadowsky, Jazz sharpness, but still very different because of the 24 frett and flexibility of the instrument and pickups.

All very good choices and really very different instruments. The best thing to do is talk with each company and see which one really fits your needs and desired in an instrument.

Best with the search,
  8. Couldn't have said it better myself albeit I've never played a Benevente.
  9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    In that price category I would strongly suggest an Fbass BN5 or a Benevente. Out of all of the high dollar brands those two have the best feel and most versitile sound IMO. Just about every sadowsky I have played has let me down in the feel department. I like a medium action and a little beefier necks. I 've use Fbass and Bene for everything from R&B to rock with no problems in finding different tones.
  10. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    sadowsky would definately be my first choice
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never played a Benavente singlecut. As for MTD versus Sadowsky: it's toss-up as far as I'm concerned.
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I don't know if anyone could really guide you on this ... all three are excellent basses, although the single cut Benavente seems slightly out of place with the other two. The single cut would likely be my personal preference, but all three are capable of "best in show". Really, up to your individual tastes in this class ......
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Personally, for that money I'd get a new Sadowsky Metro AND a used 535.
  14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    MTD. I've played Beneventes and Sadowskys, but own an MTD.

Don't get me wrong, IMHO all three are totally incredible basses, can't go wrong no matter what, but the MTD just fit me better, and the preamp and pickups are awesome (as well as unique to MTD)... both for clarity as well as versatility. I can get a great ultra P or J tone as well as the super modern tone, plenty of space for slapping, quality and beauty second to none (tho all three have that). Everything I need.

That said, I prolly will own a Sadowsky and/or Benevente SC someday. :D
  15. YOU need to check them out.. it's TOO personal for a choice for TB to make... lots of good info and opinions though. Make the effort to try what you can or you'll end up buying and either keeping or selling, that simple.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky for me!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree ! :hyper:
  18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Personally I don't think you could go wrong with -any- of those you listed..
  19. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Haven't played an MTD, but I've played the others, and all of these are all top shelf instruments.

Having said that, if I were looking for an excellent multi-purpose instrument, I'd seriously consider the LowEnd Jazz.
  20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    This is the truth. Having played and somewhat owned all, they all have their plethora of advantages AND slight disavantages in terms of things they don't really do all that well. It basically bores down to what you want out of it (it won't cover everything with 100% authenticity, so be fair on your requirements) and the feel you are comfortable with.

By all means they are all really nice basses. As for versatility, I have to say this. Benavente's come in a vareity of flavors that is dependent on the original owner, and MTDs and Sadowsky, although they have vareity within their realm, have a well recognized formula.