Benavente Opinions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Aug 17, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I need your opinion guys!

I spoke to Chris Benavente today, and he gave me an awesome deal on ne of his personal Benaventes..

What I need is your opinion on looks, tone, and feel. Im looking for a J neck (which Chris told me this is 1.58 at the nut, and Js are 1.50, so thats awesome), and a modern tone to add to my Geddys smooth classic tone.

Here are some pics:

bene1.jpg
    bene2.jpg

It will be a buy through Chris himself, and Brian at the Low End, so Im not worried about it going smoothly.

Im just looking for opinions on looks, tone, etc.

Thanks guys!
    J.

2. I say go for it.. I had a similar bass a few years ago.. same woods just the vortex style. IT SLAMMED. Punchy as hell modern but aggressive as hell when you need it. I imagine this is almost the same. I bet this has a killer slap tone as well. I still miss that thing...

3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Its between this, and a more expensive EBMM.

I have been looking for a boutique meets factory bass, and this looks like that!

But again, I am being told its a bit plain and not enough bass for the $1400 price tag. But I thought that was a decent deal, less than a new Stingray I planned to buy.

Worse that could happen is I dont like, and trade if off for a EBMM on here.. ;)

4. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I know you'll like it.
    so this is it aye? not to crazy about the fretboard inlay but like the rest

5. Looks pretty nice, one of the only basses in that body style that I would play.

6. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    See! I love the inlay!

And yes, this is it. I thought it was better getting opinions, than keeping it secret and... ;)

7. looks killer...

if my 2 are any indication: it sounds and plays killer!

8. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    wait! are the inlays suppose to represent evolution? It looks like fish at first and then a man starting to crawl. See that?

9. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I do!

But I think youre looking too deep into the inlay. ;)

10. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    haha yes i bet i am. I like the look overall, with a cut like that would it be neck heavy?

11. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Im sure its built so thats not a problem, but Im not sure.

12. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    haha:)

13. the upper strap mount is at about the 11th fret... I'm sure it will balance better than any Fender or EBMM on the market.

14. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    It comes down to this bass, and a new EBMM SR 4HH..

I honestly cant decide.. I have played the SR4, and know I love it, but this thing keeps drawing me in.

15. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    well i am one that likes to play a bass first when it is that much coin BUT as you said flipping it at that price here should be easy on TB. Basically its your time , if you have enough time to buy this try it out , post an add and sell it if you dont like it go for it. If school is starting , gigs , girls or whatever is coming up then i would go with a bass i can try.

16. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    And as you know, all of the above are starting. ;)

17. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    well man i dunno, maybe ask for some sound clips.Think it over , hopefully some owners give you some advice on them .

Its a unique one off bass i'll give it that.

18. If you're in a position where that is comparable to a Stingray, I really think you should snap this one up without hesitation. It's unique, it's awesome looking, and it's going to have that outstanding level of personal fit-and-finish that you only get with a bass like a Benavente.

I'd say do it.

19. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY

Different Benavente basses, similar tone, although the first webcam is much better than the second. In any case, I think that this one will sound similar. Question is, do you like the sound? It sure is a modern one.

20. I really dig the fingerstyle sound in the first video posted. Not saying the slap is bad, but the finger-style is very nice. I love EBMM basses, but if you're going for a boutique style bass at a reasonable price, the Benavente might just be your ticket. You will always be able to pick up a Stingray. Get the bass you posted and if you're still craving that classic Stingray tone, look at the used market. For $900 you can easily find a Stingray.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021