Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente owners unite - show them!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mule, Mar 25, 2005.

1. I was quite surprised to notice that with all those G.A.S. increasing 'Show your...' threads lurking around here a 'Show your Benavente' thread never really came off the ground. Only a few historical attempts were found with the search function, but nothing to write home about.

There should be a considerable amount of happy owners amongst the members of Talkbass, so let's unite to create a worthy tribute to the work of Chris Benavente via this thread. I personally have to give credit to Talkbass for helping me to find lots of information about Benavente since the March 2003 BP review, and this might be a way to spread the word even further. But I shouldn't be the first person to post pictures in this thread, that wouldn't be very polite and/or modest IMHO.

Who IS going to be the first contributor? :)

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've had four... The CAR just went out to TB'er natrab, so I'm down to only two. :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this one I also sold last summer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    That singlecut looks absolutely stunning! Very envious!

4. Big Joe, that red jazz looking one is B E A T I F U L!!!!!

5. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I'll play and cheat. I owned this one for a while. VERY nice bass!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That's my favorite Benavente! Outstanding.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Your bass looks vaguely like this one...
    [​IMG]

;)

anyway, here is mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    Vintage Vortex loaded!!!!!

219b double loaded!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. Well James, you might be right! One beautiful bass indeed, but one ugly dude holding her! :smug:
    Thanks for adding me to the family, and it's always a pleasure to see your fabulous instruments! :)

10. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  11. DSB

DSB Builder: Seger Basses

Mar 11, 2005
    Bangor, Maine
    Nice collection. What kind of back wood is that?

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    How do the slim PU's compare to the wides? I've had the slims but don't have no experience with the wides. Little punchier/thicker?

13. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
  14. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Hippie those are some beautiful basses! I really like the wonderful contrast on the second one, the vortex.
    If you ever decide to sell that holly topped wonder-bass, please give a brother the heads up first!

15. Wow, Hippie, mighty fine bunch of Benavente you've got there! I've always admired your 219 (first one in the row) but now I see there's more!
    So far you're 'tha man'... :smug:

16. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    I can't really say for sure because I don't own a bass with the "slims". The Vortexs (Vortices? :rolleyes: ) both have DiMarzios in them, the 219B and the SC7 both have dual coil Aeros.

The holly SC5 has the wides, and I really like them in humbucker mode because they definitely have that full "thickness" to them and I LOVE the fingerstyle tone of the holly bass. I am going to try some light tension strings on it (Ritter Swordsteel and light Dr LoRider nickels maybe) and dig in. :bassist: Of course, the slap tone in single coil mode is pretty rude as well (the mids from the bubinga neck and snap from the cocobolo board RAWK). Just an incredibly responsive playable piece of art. :)

17. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Hippiesandwich,

As an amateur bass guitar builder, two things really strike me on that white bass.

1. That neck back, wow! is the word amazing, but i'd really be curious how they glued all the pieces together and how they were put together.

2. How did they spray that white pigment on the top wood without touching the venneer layer and the korina back

:eek:

amazing bass.

18. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    The piece on top is holly IIRC - it's naturally white :)

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    [Ed McMahon]Yes! You are correct, sir![/Ed McMahon]