Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beav, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Anyone have any experence with this preamp. Specifically the new one. I've talked to Brian at The Low End about it. It has a flat frequency response when everything's set flat so in other words it's like running your passive bass wide open. After hearing one in person I'm about ready to drop one in my jazz bass, but I wanted to see if anyone had any comments on it.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Synopsis:

I wouldn't buy the Benevente if it cost more than you could get the others for.

Whole Enchilda:

Haven't had the Benavente but have a dozen other mainstream aftermarket pre's. You can get the wide open thing on any of the preamps with a by-pass. Don't know but I'd guess the flatness your referring to is in terms of boost/cut not frequency, although it may be both. Don't use them any more but I personally didn't find any tone shaping variation of significance between the various preamps, not to where I'd choose one over another on that basis.

The primary variations in them to me had to do with factors other than tone and boost/cut. For example on the used/new market the OBP-3 was smallest and had lots of mid options (including variable mid) but was more expensive often was in-complete or needed assembly; the Bart was much larger but less expensive, usually came complete in a drop-in harness, and usually had a very useful mid switch and gain control incorporated; the EMG BQC was essentially a drop in being only 2 stack pots with a PCB with knee frequency treble dips, but was not the complete harness and although the PCB didn't take up much space it could still pose a problem in some control bays, priced about like the bart but harder to find, and came hard-wired with a variable mid whether you wanted it or not; the Retro's were most expensive but drop-in's for Fenders

My guess is the market demand order would be: Aggie, Bart, EMG/Retro, Benavente. The first 3 you can get second hand or ebay/new for about prices you can resale them for. So when you go to sell it, you're likely to take more of hit on the Benavente unless you get it pretty cheap.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    luknfur,

thanks for your input man. To clarify, with the Benavente preamp on and everything set flat it has the same frequency response as a passive bass with the tone run wide open. The Bene preamp expands on that. If I wanted the passive sound with more bass I can boost the bass and and it still sound passive. I just want a preamp that doesnt have a built in EQ curve when enabled.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm, interesting.

I've heard of Benavente and that's about it. Don't recall any discussion of their preamps.

If you can boost and cut the signal without altering the frequency curve then it must have seperate controls for each (ie. a stacked knob for each band with one controlling frequency and one controlling boost/cut - like the EMG variable mid). That would be different.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Nothing against Chris Benevente or Brian B. The basses are killer, but the pre amps really suck. Weird frequency response, and just plain weak. I had a four string with one & sent it back & my teacher has a 7 string Benevente and he replaced his pre with an Aguilar - big difference.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    really? Which basses did/do you two have? I've dug the tone from the couple of newer basses I've heard to be thinking about buying a pair of new pre amps for mine.

My white one is from back in the post east / post demeter era that although it sounded killer it had a little issue with ground noise (that I fixed with Brian's guidance). When I was looking for instruction on slightly altering the mid freq (it had the option of a mid switch that mine was without) Brian suggested I just swap it out with the "Suhr" era pre of the time.... so I did at the time I received my fretless (also with Suhr pickup and pre) with was mid May 2004 both are killer preamps with a very usable range of settings. Chris and Brian finally completed their own pre later that Summer. So the Benavente pre sold today has only existed since Summer 2004.

7. I have the Benavente pickups and preamp in my Ken Lawrence (replacing a Duncan Basslines / Demeter combo) and I'm very happy with how they sound. I love the flexibility of the preamp. With active passive switching, and series/parallel switching for each pickup I can get a really wide range of tones.

[​IMG]

9. BTW: Do you know what the midrange frequency on the Benavente pre is?

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Is that the new preamp or one of the older ones?

11. The new one as far as I know. It was installed around January (this year) I think.