Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Artemis, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Artemis

Artemis

Apr 21, 2003
    Hello, I've lurked around here for awhile and have learned a lot, thanks:)

I'm in the market for a new bass and want something nice. I've read much about the new luthier's and I really like the look of the Benavente SC's. My worry is that for a relatively new builder, I see a lot of used Benavente's. Why's that? Do they look good but have nothing else going for them? How do they play? Is there a "Benavente sound"? I really would like some opinions as I don't want to be the next Benavente owner trying to unload their new bass. Thanks.

2. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Where are you located?? Maybe you can try one out! H

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    IMHO, they´re superb basses. I don´t dig the SC too much, but they sound terrific.
    You can check some sound clips in their web site
    http://www.benaventeguitars.com

or you can contact Brian Barrett who is also a TB´er (and a helpful dude)

Hope it helps

Papersen

4. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    Assuming for the moment that your posts is not a shamless troll....

Whats happening is that people are doing what they usually do with new builders....bye lower end and then decide they want something built custom for them, usually a more up market bass.

I don't see a lot of them used for sale. If you are seeing a lot for sale please clue me in. Send any SC5's or Vortex 5's my way!!! Fretted or not....I will consider either.:bassist:

5. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    In my opinion. Many people selling a Benavente are looking for another one. The new pickup and preamp configurations are far superior to the early models and have made a perfect marriage to his instrument design. Chris has also designed a few great new models which originally were not offered and fine tuned some of the early models. He seemed to gather input from his users based on early models to supply a great range of basses to accomodate a wide range of styles and needs. I myself sold one to get another. I have one on order. I may sell one I have with J pickups in order to fund another with dual coils. I sold one Benavente Vortex due the body size. I liked other models better. I have sold 3 Foderas (2-Monarchs, 1-Emporer) and 5 MTD's (4-535's, 1-435)in the last 4 years. I kept one that I use regularly. I believe a little research will show less new style Benaventes for sale than most other basses.

It is all personal taste but the quality of these basses cannot be disputed.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

If you want a used one go check out thelowend.net. Brian usually has at least a few I think.

7. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    Thanks Jared

8. Artemis

Artemis

Apr 21, 2003
    Why would you think I'm a troll? I've just noticed several for sale lately, three have been on bassgear.com in the last two days, SC, Vortex, and 219. A friend of mine said he was offered the mac ebony topped one from the guy that bought it from Access Bass. That's a pretty recent one. It's just weird that I've seen so many. I really would like to get one, I just want a good bass. Does he build a good bass?

9. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    His basses are great....have 2 having another built....considering buying one or 2 more!!! Where are you I'd give you a chance to play one if you want to.

..who is selling the Mac Ebony top? Is it a 5 string?? SC5 or Vortex?

Definitely interested if its a 5!

10. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    That Mac Ebony Topped Benavente was an SC5 5-string. It had Mahogany body as I recall, dual Dimarzio Ultra J pickups paired with the newest Suhr/Benavente preamp. Gorgeous looking bass! Ask Adrian or Brian about it.

I have to agree that is somewhat of a quandary when you see very high end custom basses circulating from one owner to the next in a short period of time. For that matter, the Roscoe in my avatar was an exceptional Roscoe LG3005, but I sold it when I felt that it didn't quite have the mid range or Marcus like Jazz punch tone I was looking for. In hindsight, I wish I still had it because it was so beautiful, but I couldn't afford to keep both basses. So I let go of the Roscoe. Sigh. The current owner LOVES that bass silly!

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Benavente's are by far the best basses I have played so far. The build quality, playability, and sound are all top notch. I am the owner of the Macassar Ebony SC5. And yes, I am in a tight situation now, and it looks like this bass is going to have to move. I am in a bit of finacial trouble....I do plan on ordering a new Benavente in the Spring though(if I can pull myself out of debt!). Slammer, I have sent you a PM.

12. Artemis,
    How does one get in touch with you? I can't PM you or email you.:meh:

13. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
  14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    You're no troll cat. This is a good question to ask. Chris builds great basses and guitars. I had a 219B that I sold. Nothing was wrong with it. One of the best sounding basses I ever played. I just really didn't like the body style. Just my personal. The best thing you can do is to play on one. Find someone here on TB close to you or make a road trip to a dealer. It will be well worth your time and effort. Seriously, go find a SC to play. You wont regret it.

15. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    Artemis I think another phenomenon that you're probably witnessing is that a lot of these young luthiers who build a lot of customs are catering to a crowd who tends to turn over instruments and other equipment pretty regularly. A newcomer to this forum will notice after only a couple hours reading that there is a tremendous amount of hype and churn, the "oh my god this is the best thing ever" followed a couple of months later by the "im selling this because is just isn't for me", and in fact there are probably a handful of expensive instruments that have circulated through two hands-full of members.

This is probably true of just about any musical instrument, but its a little puzzling to me that so many people will go to the time and expense of commisioning a custom instrument at a tremendous price, and ostensibly meeting every need of the player, only to turn around a year or two later and sell it. One explanation is simply that the sums of money and time spent are simply a testament to the seriousness that bassists treat the search for the right instrument. Another explanation, and the one I am more inclined to favor, is simply that musicians are particularly prone to hype and impulsive purchasing, particularly when in the company of several thousand other bassists with internet connections and digital cameras.

From the perspective of the luthier, I tend to think that the hype and churn are detrimental to the builders image, as I can't think of any other reason than dissatisfaction (even if a person is "upgrading") that instruments from one builder should turn over more frequently than others.

All that being said, though, I bet if you did an actual study of the ratio of instruments built/sold to those resold, Benavente and other instruments in the same price range would likely rate much lower than an off the shelf product like Ibanez or Fender, although it might be easy to get the other impression at a forum like Talkbass where a huge percent of the traffic consists of buying and selling or talking about buying and selling premium (or simply hyped) product.

To be clear- I don't mean to single out Benavente, as they seem like mighty fine instruments to me, but the phenomenon of "Custom Churn" at talkbass is something I've wondered about quite a lot.

16. I own 6 Benavente basses, and am waiting on #7 to arrive!! I've had them all since they were finished, now over a year or more, and don't foresee selling ANY of them (unless some emergency happens)!!

Try and get your hands on one or more, talk to Brian at the Low End, and you won't regret it....

mark s.

17. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    I want to be Mark Sellers when I grow up

;-)

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    GooseYArd makes an excellent point. There are some guys who are constantly looking for something new and may not have the financial backing to add to their stash of basses. In other words, "if I want to buy one, I have to sell one". As was mentioned earlier, there are those who start relatively low on the scale (entry level of the high end range), like with a Vintage Vortex, like it, and want something a little flashier and more unique. In the coming years, I'm sure you'll see several bassists selling their Vintage Vortex basses to upgrade to SCs, etc. Further, there are guys like sellersm who really dig Benavente basses and have multiple basses from the same builder. With time, one's taste might change, or a new need may pop up that would warrant selling a bass to make way for a new one.....like if you joined a new band and needed a fretless six string and you currently don't have a fretless six string.

There are many different reasons to explain why someone would decide to sell a bass other than financial problems, a dislike of the instrument, etc. Hope that helps explain the phemoninon you've experienced.
    ;)