Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente SC-5 or F-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThumbyAche, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Two totally different basses I know but does it sound crazy to want to trade my Bene for an F-Bass? Personal preference I know but what do you all think as far as which bass is more versatile? Anybody NOT happy with an F-Bass?

Attached Files:

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've never had the pleasure of playing either, while I like both I would probably pick the F-bass. As of here lately every F I've seen here on the boards looks amazing, the only one I"ve seen I didn't like is the purple on that was for sale.

3. I own an early SC5-B and it's a keeper. I also have GAS for an F-bass. So if I were you, I would keep/get both...

4. Versatility and customer satisfaction both go to F bass.

You see so many more Benaventes with the exotic woods, which is cool, but they would have a "footprint" on how the bass would sound.

5. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Personal pref, but I would probably keep my benny.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    having tough time deciding Justin?

7. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Back and forth like GAS can be... See, if you would have bought it... Who knows the right gig could change everything..:bassist:

8. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Buy both and a/b them. I think that the F is one of or the most versatile basses, period

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    F bass...

they are amazing. i just sold my bnf6 to another user on this board. and i will be pickin up my new bnf5 tomorrow

pics to follow.

10. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Fbass all the way!

Bassconbeatz

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    he has both.

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I hear ya about GAS... it might have made pull the trigger too!
    :ninja:

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    the F has the most versatil bass pre-amp, and its soo easy to use

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

F's are cool Did a cd with my ash/mad. ebony 5 string. The tone was always a bit dark to my ears but playability was great. I owned 3 overall. I no longer own one but I can see why people like them

Rob

15. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I have had both and my vote goes toward the benavente.
    It had a tightehr response and lower action than the F

george is a very talented luthier and makes incredibly beautiful basses!

I have had over 50 basses in my life and even the same luthier can make a champ and a dud. I am glad for some of the basses I have sold and I am regretful for others.

Good luck but it sounds like you've already made up your mind before even threading this.

And Whoever said that are not good in the service dept obvoiusly hasnt owned one. Those guys- brian and chris have bent over 3 ways from friday for me as well as all of the other clients and players of benavente. They have fixed preamps, replaced pup's dealt with any problem on a fast and super friendly basis.

Some guy at Namm made that same comment but said they were endorsed Well nobody wo has ever been endorsed by benavente is currently unendorsed. which means basically its all hot air.

I am keeping mine and Thats that!

16. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Weird, I had a Vortex that had some problems with the preamp/pups and they fixed it for me. It took some work but I would never say that they service was bad. They just missed a few things the first time around. Great guy's though, Brian and Chris.

I do have an F-Bass but am just curious as to what you all have to say. I don't play my Bene enough and also wanted to see what people thought in terms of versatility and such. Especially, recording and just overall value, etc.. It helps with my indecision.. Still leaning towards another F-Bass though. Thanks guy's!

17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Congrats E!

19. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Definately go for the F bass. Beneventes look wonderful and he does amazing work with all the exotic woods. But if you want TONE and response from your bass, go for a no bull **** F bass. Those basses are made to sound solid and versitle.

Additionally, I think they're beautiful. If you do want an exotic top, George makes them so thin that it barely even affects the sound. You still get the all-ash vibe.

20. +1