1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Benavente SC or Lull Jazz - One has to go!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Feb 16, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Don't say it! But then again, you're probably not surprised.
    Due to an almost complete transaction, one of these has to go.
    I wish that I could keep them both, but I can't.
    They both sound AWESOME and look GOOD!! The end result will be:

1. Ken Smith-5
    2. Ken Smith-4
    3. Lakland-4
    4. Benny or Lull

I may post them both for sale and let the first buyer decide for me. Which would you keep?
    [​IMG]

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would lose the lull and keep the benevente.

3. Under threat of Hell, I've got to agree with the man. :D

Actually, I think the Benavente is cooler. :bassist:

4. Talk about rocks in hard places! :eek:

I like the Benavente best though.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...send KS 5 to me.;)

6. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Yep...that Benevente is awesome...you can't let that one go. I love the way Bene SC's play...and I've never seen a 4 before.

Good luck with your decision...but it's not the first time you been in this situation before though!

;) :D

7. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    JB,

That is a tough decision. Both are great basses. That is the nicest lull i've ever seen. But because of the customness(not an actual word but fits for this subject) I would keep the benavente. However if it was me i would keep and hide when the bills came.

-Matt

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    If it just comes down to looks, because the playability, craftmanship and sound, tone, etc are equal in quality, then I would say keep the Benevente.

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ....give the KS5 to rickreyn....send me the Benavente....and...aw hell, send the KS4 to me as well!...then buy 2 rogues...and call it a day....

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Looking @ both basses, it's a tough choice. They're both extremely beautiful & I'm pretty sure they play & sound awesome. :(

I have no idea. I'm getting more confused as I think about it. The Ben. is very unique & the Lull is more or less traditional (body shape).

Save me the confusion & KEEP 'EM BOTH!!!!! for goodness sake. :)

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    All of that is doable. I have some boxes, plenty of bubble wrap/tape, and I accept Paypal. Then I can buy a Benaventa SC-5 with block inlays and fancy looking pups. I'd like to keep them both but rotating 5 basses is too much trouble.

- The Lull sounds "old school". It has a certain "thump" that none of my other bass can match [easily]. The neck is schmooth as heck, and despite having beautiful fretwork, the action won't drop below 2.5mm on the "E". Bass Player Mag said the same thing about this model. The flip side is that with the medium action, comes the sound. I can dig in with no fret buzz at all. Some say that higher action results in better sound at the expense of playability anyway. Any body want to comment on this?

- The Benavente is one of a kind: light weight, excellent balance, loads of bottom end, excellent sound, plays like you want it to, and makes a good conversation piece. And like Da5id said, "It's cooler"

- Why does this feel like the "old crusty wife vs new mistress" situation [so I've been told;)]. But until I make a choice, I guess I'll have to play with them both. :) :)

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The Benny is awesome, but being that I'm in a trad mood right now, I'd keep the Lull.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    me 3

14. On looks alone, the Benevante.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The Ben makes me nauseaus. Sorry but I can't stand those exaggarated single cut bodies. Keep the Lull. You'll make me much happier. :D

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I would keep the Benavente. I guess I wouldn't like how it sounds (I'm a hardwoods addicted!) but it does look cool! The Lull, even if it could play well, is only one of the 1000 Jazz clones... you can always find another one!

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sell 'em both and get something really choice! ;)

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Like what?

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting choice for me, because I don't care much for either J-basses or singlecuts. The Benevente is one of very few singlecut designs that don't suck, but the Lull has a prettier top (all IMO of course). Which has better resale value?

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I am another one who doesn't care for the single cuts so I'd keep the Lull plus I assume that you're looking to raise money and the time is right to sell the Benavente with the current Bass Player Magazine review being out now. Chris is back ordered months since the success at NAMM so if anyone sees the review and wants one they'll have to wait. Not sure what you'd be looking to get for the Lull but I'd say that you'd be hard pressed to get much more than $1,400 for it in today's market and the Benavente would bring in more money I'd say.

Tough call...both exceptional!