Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente Sound samples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Sep 20, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Anyone know where I can get some Benavente single-cut 4-string sound samples? How about some high-res photos of Chris' work?

- I have no way to test one of these out.

-What bass did Larry Graham play in the 70's--that's the sort of sound I'm after.

- NOTE! The last time I asked about Benavente basses, the post turned into a big golf challenge.:(

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Fender Jazz bass- later, a Moon Jazz bass

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks Adrian. That's what I thought. So I'm right on track with a Jazz style bass. It's the "Jazz" sound that I like. But I want to take it a little deeper...

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Was there any questions in the last thread that didn't get answered?

I don't have any sound clips of that 4 string but I have played on it. It sounds BAD!!! It's a monster of a bass. To bad I have two other 4 strings. The Aero's and U-Retro sound great together. Larry Graham tone. You can dial it in on that bass.

5. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    The maple board really brings out the funk on this bass!!

[​IMG]

6. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, Brian has a 24 hour approval period. You would lose the cost of shipping if you didn't like it but that might be cheaper than driving out to Memphis.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    My initial questions were answered. But the last post never really developed because I posted just minutes before T-time at the 2002 Cyber Masters.

I need some simple solo sound samples with everything set at flat.

- I don't play in a band and have no desire to play in a band. Between my job (US Air Force), night college, bodybuilding, and family, I have no time for a band. I experience much pleasure during 10-15 hours per week of one-on-one with my bass. It's just me, the wood, and the lowend. Whew--it's gettin' hot in here!

- Sooo. I don't care how much the sound cuts through the mix. It's just got to be low, full, punchy, and exciting.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Hang On!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a Single cut 4 string with single coil Aero's and East/Retro preamp.
    http://www.angelfire.com/tn/briansbass/page243.html

Please post comment's if you don’t mind. Other options available, dual coil Aero’s, Dual Coil & Single coil Dimarzio’s, Benavente preamp. Endless wood options.

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The tone was fine but I didn't hear anything special out of that bass that I haven't heard out of a ton of other basses, many that are a lot cheaper. I've played a couple Benavent basses and they were built good and played OK. I think I played the single cut 4 with Aero's. A guy named Johnny Woodard had one very similar and it seems to me that he traded it to you, Brian. But I could be wrong. Johnny had another Benavent that I thought sounded really terrible. He hated it also. I think his basses look nice though and are built well. I also think his prices are reasonable.

11. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I like it. Lot of snarl to it. Were all three clips done on the same bass ?
    What was it recorded through ?
    I'm digging this one A LOT
    [​IMG]

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played the reddish single cutaway one @ the NAMM in the SIT booth. It had some problems with it, and it STILL sounded pretty good. I'd like to take one on a gig, and put it through the paces. I still think that they're sweet basses, and his prices are pretty reasonable.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A friend of a friend of mine had one of his 219-series fretlesses a couple of years ago, and liked it a lot. Ended up trading it in at BNW for a Thumb, just because he realized that had the sound he was after.

[​IMG]

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Peter

Hey, the first 219 John had actually now belongs to Reggie Wooten's girl friend. Reggie told he to buy it after playing it at a Guitar show in Nashville. She's had it for about a year now. When John had that bass built he had Chris put a set of LANEPOOR's in it which didn't work out well with the East preamp. Later Chris installed a set of Aero's which is how she bought it.

The 4 string SC, John had for a short time after NAMM while deciding on a bass to have built. The reason he sold it was becuase of his playing style the nob's got in his way when muting.

John just traded his fodera in to have a 6 string Benavente built. So I don't think he's really unhappy.

I hope that helps, Thanks

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Stachio

Yes all three are the same SC 4 string.
    Actually a friend of John Woodard's, Theron, had that bass built after the other SC4.

I believe he basically recorded it straight to the computer.

I thought he did a really nice job.

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Which Fodera did Johnny trade? He had a fretless that I never saw and he has one similar to Vics. Actually, I installed the Lane Poors for Johnny because he hated the Aero's that were in it, the bass sounded too thin. He got the Poors off of ebay. The singlecut was a much better sounding bass than the first one he had. So johnny is getting a six? That's strange as he doesn't seem like a 6 string player to me.

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I believe the bass was built with the lanepoor originally. I could be wrong, but I know the Aero's went into it last before it went the Reggie's girl friend.

Yea, he did get them off ebay. He was quite unhappy with the sound, and gave them to Chris when they where switched. The where real bright with out any low end.

He is having a 6 string Vortex built. The fodera was the fretless. Actually someone of talkbass bought it. I saw pics posted a few days ago.

Correction:
    The 219 John originally had, Peter, came with Bartolini's which we found out later where a 5 string set Bartolini they had switched up :rolleyes:
    You replaced the Barts with Lanepoors and then later Chris Installed the Aero's in the bass which is how Reggie Wooten's girl friend bought it.

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, I know for a fact that I replaced the Aero's with Poors because when I pulled the Aero's out, I verified that they were indeed Aero because of the little symbol thing they use on the bottom. The Poors did not improve the tone of the bass. At the time I had a set of Aero's that I removed out of one of my basses and they were identical to them except they were 4 string and mine were 5's. Oddly enough, I think I sold them along with a few other p/u's to you. I haven't cared much for the Aero's I've tried.