Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente - top wood ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eli M., Apr 16, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm planning a Benavente for the near future. Basic specs are: Vortex 5, alder body, fretted rosewood fingerboard (no inlays).

I'm not sure what I should do for a top wood, though. I am a huge zebrawood fan, but as you may know, that is going to be the top wood for my Nordstrand. I don't want two matching tops.

However, I'm thinking I want some sort of continuity between the two basses. The reason I like zebrawood is because
    -it isn't a figured/flamed/spalted/burl wood, but is still very interesting
    -it isn't too crazy looking

So I'm trying to come up with woods that share these characteristics. I thought of macassar ebony, but I don't know if that will look good with the rosewood.

If I wanted to go in a whole different direction, I was thinking of doing curly maple with a light transparent amber stain (in which case I'd also want a black veneer line - I think I have a veneer line fetish, I'm getting one on the Nordstrand too).

But I'm more interested in the first idea; some sort of exotic, understated top. I shall summon the collective wisdom of TB: Does anyone have any ideas for tops?

(my first instinct says this belongs in Basses, but if not, mods, work your magic)

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wenge? Wenge top with rosewood PU covers and FB would look nice.

3. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I hadn't thought of wenge. I'll add that to my list.

I should add, though, that the bass won't have wood pickup covers.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Flamed Bubinga! It's probobly one of my favorite woods, and one that would still go well with the Rosewood board. It also sounds good, and you can use it as a neck stringer to tie everything in as well.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I love the look of a wenge top. The recent SC5 in wenge looked as good as I'm sure it sounds... But I don't know how well rosewood would pair up with wenge aesthetically. It might look a bit off. Brian Barret photo-shopped what my bass would look like with the available tops and that was a huge help with making my decisions.

6. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    You're right, now that I think about it. It would be two different shades of dark brown, like wearing black and navy blue in the same outfit.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    A couple ideas?
    Macassar Ebony
    [​IMG]

Bocote
    [​IMG]

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love flamed koa...

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Bubinga?

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  12. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey Eli! A nordie and a bennie in the same breath? You must have a DEEP pocket (please forgive the pun) ;)

How about black limba? It fits your description pretty well.
    The brazillian spalt top in the directory looks really classy too!
    Or, you could always go with mac ebony - I think it'd go fine with the braz fb (think Adrian Garcia's mac ebony fbass) :hyper:

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Black Korina!

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mac is my favorite. He's got a pretty nice piece on the list, too. Not shilling for em I swear.

[​IMG]

15. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    +1

Koa, Ziricote(one of my favorites) And Goncalo Alves

[​IMG] Alves

[​IMG] Ziricote

16. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I didn't know that. He's got some pretty nice pieces there.

Actually, it's not that deep... I have to do a little monetary juggling to come up with some of the money.

I like a lot of these suggestions - I'll think about them later when I have time to look at pictures.

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Eli

Jay will do you right thats for sure. You might look at the Mongo top he has on Hold as well.

Someone stated the Braz Rosewood top on the top page. There is one top left. This is Tad from Blues Traveler's bass with a Braz Rosewood top we just finished.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=1121

Macc Ebony top with Rosewood board would look good with the brown and black in the Macc Ebony. Might go with a Kingwood or Brazilian Rosewood board.

18. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    How about Asian Ebony, it looks really good on a ritter bass I saw at frankfurt.
    Or Amazique, I have that on my SEI bass, a little subtle flame going on , looks really good.

Also check out olive wood.

Peik

19. Eli M.

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm beginning to like myrtle, based on the following pictures:

JP:
    [​IMG]

Sukop with flame myrtle:
    [​IMG]

but I'm still looking for other ideas.