1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Benavente twins (51 model)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, May 7, 2006.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Pics first because they're mandatory (apologies for Webshots; best I can do for now):
    http://community.webshots.com/album/318022678daBMfc

These arrived on Friday just in time for the weekend gigs. I used the hot rod twice because of the bling, of course... but the butterscotch also sounds great through my rig.

More later after a good night's sleep. :oops:

2. The purple flames just arent for me man, but I really dig the other one. Quite sexy.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Now we are talking!!!!

I love the single wide in the neck position. I can't wait to hear your review! I love mine :bassist:

4. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hey Congrats on the twins they look great! I also love those leather bags I have one myself from the Low End.

Are these active/passive basses?

- Tom

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Twins? One of them must be the "evil twin", and I think we know which. Congrats, though! Those must be amazing basses.. and two of them!

6. Fuzzbass

Ok, more info.

Playability:

These basses have my preferred "wide" string spacing: 1-7/8" nut width, 3/4" spacing at the bridge. The necks have a satin finish that is so light that it feels like bare wood.... SEXAY! However the headstock face on both basses is gloss... a nice touch. Fingerboard radius is on the flat side... 16", I'm guessing (but I'm not sure). I have to add here that it looks like the neck wood was specially selected. That is, the grain is amazingly straight! Can't really see that in the pics I posted, unfortunately.

Bottom line is that I LOVE how these basses play. When they arrived they had super low action, and lighter gauge strings than I normally use. But it was simple enough to tweak these basses for my style.

Electronics:

Hot rod bass is active - it has a Benavente 3-band preamp. The butterscotch bass is passive.

Both basses have Kent Armstrong pickups. James Hart is correct that the wide pickup has more girth... this was the pickup he recommended. But I didn't want both basses to have the exact same pickup config, and I wanted a modern tone on the hot rod bass. So I went with the slim pickups on the hot rod because I wanted modern tone and didn't want the flames to be obscured by two wide pickups.

I used the hot rod bass at both gigs this weekend... it was hard to put down the bling! But I also tried the butterscotch through my gig rig. It's easy to tell which bass is active and which is passive. That said, the wide pickup on the passive bass has an amazingly wide spectrum: girth reminiscent of a split-coil P, but better highs and lows.

The Benavente pre seems to have cut/boost treble and midrange, but boost-only bass. This is a great idea... I've never been one to cut bass frequencies. :p It seems quiet enough, and I like the way the EQ is voiced.

Misc:

Hipshot hardware: ultralight tuners and A type bridge. Great stuff. When the basses arrived, the tuner cloverleafs (cloverleaves??) were protected by little plastic bags, so they were perfectly polished... no fingerprints. Warrant out for Mr. Benavente? Just kidding... nice touch!

Just like the original 51 P-basses, these have slab bodies: no forearm or belly cut. I was worried about comfort, but at the gig I didn't even notice the missing contours. One caveat is weight. I've been spoiled by my chambered alder Sadowsky P5: it's feather-light. The Benaventes are on the weighty side, like my Fender Roscoe Beck 5's. But I still play my Fenders, so the extra weight isn't a big deal.

The frets are nicely filed and polished. The fret ends aren't rounded off as they are on my Sadowsky, but hell, no other bass I've owned could compare to the Sadowsky either!

The only minor nitpicks: I had to tighten one of the string trees, and one of the control plates isn't perfectly seated. No big deal on either count.

Bottom line: it's only been a couple of days, but I love 'em. I'm sort of getting back to my P-bass roots, and now I have three sweeties to choose from: Sadowsky and Benavente x2. They each have different roles in both looks and tone. :)

7. Fuzzbass

I have to mention Brian Barrett of the Low End.

In short, dealing with Brian has been an amazing pleasure. he's totally professional, totally cool.

My Benaventes were funded in part by some trade-ins. Obviously, I would've made a little more selling the items myself, but Brian's offers were fair enough that I didn't feel the need to advertise and get bombed by Nigerians and lowballers.

More importantly: the man is incredibly patient. I threw all kinds of crazy ideas at him when designing the hot rod bass, and he didn't laugh at any of 'em. And give credit where due: when I asked if the flames could be a multicolor fade, Brian suggested color-change paint. As the Guinness guys say: Brilliant! The color-change paint gives the result I hoped for. :)

I never had to deal with Chris directly. And that is fine: let Chris concentrate on building. Brian was there to filter out the chaff... f'r instance, my many crazy ideas... and contact Chris with the few questions he couldn't answer himself.

I would do business with Brian again in a heartbeat... I'm sure I will!

8. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Sweet! They both look amazing. The butterscotch is my favorite looks-wise.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Modern takes on vintage designs can be pretty cool, enjoy. :bassist:

10. Fuzzbass

I selected pictures that show off the flames. In some conditions they're hard to see (1st pic). That said, I'm sure they're not your style regardless... and that's cool! :p

Glad you like the butterscotch bass. I'm going to gig with that one this weekend.

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Too many strings, but I guess they're okay. ;)

Seriously, those are badass.

12. Fuzzbass

As a five-stringer, that's the way I gotta go... my only vintage option is the Fender Bass V, and that's definitely not my thing! :p

But seriously... yeah, I'm most comfy with Fender-style looks and ergonomics. When it arrives (should be pretty soon), my D.Huff Z5 will be my only non-Fender lookin' bass.

13. Fuzzbass

I can't help it... I'm limited that way. :D

:bassist: Thanks!!

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great reviews... I'll echo the same on build quality and working with Brian. Class acts all the way!

I was told mine are 20" radius boards. I love the feel.

birds of a feather we are....

I've gone with at Worker Bee for my non-fender. I'm still a couple months out.

15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Man, I love the butterscotch '51... that bass is perfect! Congrats on both.

And I agree with everyone here, Brian is a very good guy to deal with. His dedication to customer service is second to none. That, along with Chris' attention to detail and amazing talent make them a force in the bass world.

Way to go!

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on your two new basses, 'Fuzz! :bassist:

I really dig the Hot-Rod Flames bass. The flames remind me of an old hot-rodded pickup I used to own!!:cool:

The Butterscotch is equally bada**; killer vintage vibe.

Enjoy,
    - Art

17. Fuzzbass

Thanks for the info. I knew from your reviews that the board was fairly flat (one more reason I ordered), but didn't recall how much. I love the feel too.

18. Fuzzbass

Thanks. :) I couldn't decide which way to go. I placed the order for the butterscotch bass first, but a month or two later I decided to get the hot rod too.

I was also tempted by the True Flame design, but the color change paint intrigued me.

Benavente True Flame:
    flame2.

19. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Oh God, that true flame gets me every time :(

However I will admit this is the RADDEST P bass I've ever seen

[​IMG]

Congrats man! I love all of Chris' work. Your basses look exceptional!

20. Fuzzbass

Let's see if my myspace is good for something: image link test!

Purple to blue
    [​IMG]

Another angle: blue to purple
    [​IMG]

Oblique angle: red/orange!
    [​IMG]

Butterscotch
    [​IMG]

Both of 'em
    [​IMG]