Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benavente???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crewlattitude, Mar 18, 2004.

1. crewlattitude

crewlattitude

Mar 18, 2004
    I've been lurking for awhile, and have a questions to pose. And.... before I get the "Welcome to the board.. do a search you moron" reply.... I DID!!! This is a little different.

I want to know the Good & the BAD!!!! of the Benavente basses. I know that most around here seem to be all about kissing ***, and no one seems to have the nads to say anything bad about high end basses, but I'm sure there must be some bad experiences/opinions. I want those too. I'm not trying to piss of Chris. I think his creations are awesome looking, and the sound clips I've heard are great. But there are bad things about everything. And peoples opinions are all different, so I'm sure someone has a negative or less than positive opinion. Again, no dogging anyone, just facts. We can all be adults (I hope)

Oh.... I'd also like to hear what people love about them as well.

Thanks for your time from a hopefully future Benavente owner.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If you've lurked and searched, you know my thoughts... best bass I've played or owned.

The BAD: I can't afford more, you have to wait to get one, you can't hit GC and try a couple to find "The One"

Though I told Chris what I wanted and the dude NAILED it. One year later and I'm waiting on my next custom order...

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I can't wait!!! 6 string fretless ash with unlined stablized bird's-eye maple fingerboard and one Dual coil Suhr pickupand standard 3 band pre.

...there is another bad... my fretted finished and shipped the month before the switch to the Suhr pre! I'm thinking about sending it back for an upgrade to the newest pre.

3. Talk to Brian Bennett www.thelowend.net

he's a very straight guy and represents Benavente very honest.

Jorg

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    DISCLAIMER: Just so there is no misleading here. I designed both the Benavente and thelowend websites. Brian does his own work, I only did the initial design and the occasional page or fix... but I do monthly updates & additions to Chris' site for the time being.

but I make nothing from pushing them... if they sucked I just wouldn't talk about them / play them. You'd see them on eBay or back to Brian for sale.

Also, you want brutally honest, give Chris a call! the Dude pulls no punches!

5. crewlattitude

crewlattitude

Mar 18, 2004
    speddling... Cool looking bass you got under construction. What pickups are going in it? I thought you were the webguy. Obviously I think that clouds your opinion a little. I'm sure you get paid for your web work, be it cash, check, or bass/bass discount. No harm in that. Just colors your opinion. Not that your opinion no longer counts....

jorg... I have no doubt that Brian is a straight up guy. But his opinion is certainly clouded. He has financial interest. Again... I'm not dawgin him. It's his job. No harm in that.. I'm jsut wanting some different opinons... from end users without financial ties.

Thanks for the replies!!!

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    most high end basses dont have bad thigns about them. i mean if your going to pay alot of money on something your gona make sure its perfect for you. thats why youll never hear a sane person go, awww my new custom so and so sucks. i dont own a benavente or even played one, but i recently purchased a custom kubicki because in my opinion there the best basses for me. i dont think any proud owner of any high end bass will complain about it so i dought youll find many if any complaints here. but good luck :smug:

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :bassist: it's getting a custom wound John Suhr Dual Coil. And yeah, I can see the way my opinion must lean....
    but, Chris could terminate my services tomorrow and I'll still consider my fretted 51 a keeper for life and my expectations for the fretless 6 are the same! I'm actually considering picking up one of his 2k-DC guitars down the road too.

crewlattitude: did you join the benavente yahoo group linked off Chris' site? Lots of owners there

8. crewlattitude

crewlattitude

Mar 18, 2004
    I may not have made myself clear. I'm NOT wanting to start a Benavente Bashing thread. Especially in my first posts.

I'm not really looking for complaints. If people have any, I'd like to hear them. But I'm guessing people have gotten a bass, and thought the neck was chunky, or too flat, or too curved, or too thin. The pickups were too hot, too trebly, too nasaly, too whatever? Maybe they have neck dive, maybe the preamp/pickup combo isn't all that, I dunno, even stupid meaningless stuff.

Or... how about it's the best bass I've ever played, and I've played (insert basses you've played) I want the good stuff as well... come on!!

9. crewlattitude

crewlattitude

Mar 18, 2004
    Wow, sorry I missed that the first time. Dam n public schools. I never learned to read. Your fretted 51 is FINE!! When is your fretless gonna be done? I'm sure you're not looking forward to it.

10. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    You've been lurking for awhile? Really?

Your profile shows you joined in March of 2004.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    ;) I went and hid it below the picture... it was my fault :p

Thanks! Not sure, Ash takes a bit to cure, plus I'm still owing some cash. I hope it isn't too much longer.

Oh and BTW: Welcome to TalkBass! What kinda stuff you into / what kinda gear you jammin with?

12. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    They are great basses. The only downside is that there might not be many chances for people who are interested out there to get their hands on one and try them out. Thanks to the fact that I live in the same city as Brian Barrett and his very cool shop the Low End, I have had the chance to play at least 9 different basses made by Chris and Brian over the last year and through a variety of amp and cab configurations.
    Though comparisons are not really my style, I have played Foderas, Alembics, Ritters,Sadowsky basses, R Basses, my Modulus and even a Nordstrand through the same setups.
    After several months of bugging Brian to let me try anything and everything that has passed through his store and constant shopping around for basses from other sources as well, I was impressed enough to take home a Benavente SC5 over everything else. And you know the best part? Zero buyer's remorse!
    I've expected and attained the best from my bass gear for the past several years, and the trend is definitely continuing with my Benavente. I think with instruments and gear you have to go with what makes you happy over all the other factors of GAS and gear lust that can often end up ringing hollow. I plug in my SC 5- instant happiness! That is goodness aplenty for me. And I'm not kissing anyone's ***.
    It's just my sincere response after the fulfillment of a long quest.
    When it comes to a high end bass there are many quality instruments out there and I'm not saying one is the best bass ever devised by the minds and hands of men in all of recorded history, I'm just saying for me the chemistry was definitely a Benavente thing.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You are aware that you can lurk (ie view posts) without being a registered user? The guy appears to be asking a genuine question - what are you adding to the coversation? (except of course, breaching the forum rules ;) )

To the initial poster - for what its worth - there was a thread a while back that concerned some alledged issues with (IFRC the electronics) in the early Benaventes. I know that Brian Barrett was invovled in the debate - he maybe able to shed some light on things.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I suggest *everyone* read the forum rules regarding swearing - you'll note I edited a few of the posts here. No creative spelling, please.

15. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York

Excellent idea. Another idea would be not to posted naked slanted trolling posts that invite trouble.

Night all!!!

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Crewlattitude,
    If you're interested in a high-end, customizable instrument, asking generalized questions concerning build quality, tone, playability, etc. is a good way to start your research. While some of these elements are extremely subjective and diffucult to describe...whether a nut was cut properly, the finish was flawless (no contamination, orange peel, etc.) and whether the instrument has high or uneven frets are at the core of a quality instrument vs. a sub-par instrument. However, when it comes to the subjective elements (tone, feel, neck shape, etc.) it really boils down to what you're looking for and what fits your needs and personal style. There are quite a number of satisfied Benavente owners here who will probably chime in with rave reviews, but keep in mind that what is perfect for someone else might not be right for you or the next guy. Trying to define and pin down exactly what you're looking for will make sure that you find the perfect fit the first time. Good luck with your research and have fun with the process! :D ;)

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yet another would be for you to review my PM to you of 12-25-03.

18. This is a difficult question you pose. I can appreciate what you are asking, and I would do the same if I was going to spend an awful lot of money on a bass that I could not try out beforehand. However my 2cents worth is based on trying and owning a number of high end basses and talking to a number of pro's.

Once you get into the realm of high end basses you really do not find a 'bad' bass. They are all built well, use good componants, offer a choice of pickups, string spacing, choice of woods etc. It really comes down to what you want from a bass. One persons perfect neck is another persons nightmare so really everyone's perceptions here on TB are subjective.

From my own experience, I currently own a 4 string Ken Smith [which is stock] and a 7 string fretless Sei bass [totally custom]. My point is that I could try examples of Ken Smiths and get an idea of what to expect which made ordering that bass relatively easy. With the Sei bass, it was the first 7 string fretless that Martin Petersen had made. Whilst I had total faith in his craftmanship from seeing and playing a few examples of his 4,5,6 string basses, my 7 was uncharted territory. Firstly I had to check that Martin was prepared to build me a 7 string, I then sat down with Martin discussed the sound I wanted, chose pickups/preamp and wood to get that sound [based on Martin's experience of what worked]. I then discussed neck profile and we decided on a thin shallow U shape. Again knowing what I preferred and discussing it with Martin produced the neck I wanted. The end result was a near perfect bass [for me] it was probably initially 95%+ of what I expected in feel etc but the shortfall was probably due to me having to adjust from a 4 string fretted to a fretless 7, not poor craftmanship.

Others have tried my bass and some have loved it whilst a couple have said it was not quite what they would have in a bass. That diverse reaction was what I expected as it was built for me not them!

You have to decide what you want from a bass, and also decide if you think that a particular builder can deliver what you want. You have to also think about what music you play and will that style of bass deliver the sound you need.

The best way of doing this is talking to a number of luthier's telling them what you are seeking and see if they are able to do what you want. Pickups/electrics are fairly interchangeable and most luthiers should be able to do a neck profile that you want but you need to be sure in your own mind first what you are after.

Good luck in your quest

Matthew

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have a Benavente Vintage Vortex I traded for site unseen, and it is a fabulous instrument. The construction, attention to detail and most of all, the playability and sound, are superior. I have absolutely no remorse.

20. crewlattitude

crewlattitude

Mar 18, 2004
    Umm.... I'm guessing by the fact that you lack original thought... you must be drummer.

Thanks for the kind words.... I guess they deleted. Yep, I just "joined" so that I could post. I had a question, it's getting answered. Before that, I just read posts here & there.