1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bench made Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shrigg, Mar 4, 2013.

1. shrigg

shrigg Beta Tester for AudioKinesis Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    I want to create either a pre-cbs style or 60's meets 70's Jazz Bass. What should an excellent quality luthier-built Jazz Bass cost with the following features?
    This would be made from scratch using only high quality tonewood built by a competent luthier, created by one man not using premade necks and/or bodies.

60's meets 70's style
    Solid maple 60's shaped "tiny" jazz neck with pre-cbs profile (1 7/16" nut, .78" at first fret), pearloid dots
    Ash body with nitro finish, possibly chambered (or not)
    70's equivalent pickups (recommendations?)
    70's pickup position
    Hipshot ultralite tuners
    Hipshot vintage bridge
    Passive V-V-T wiring

or

Pre-cbs style
    60's shaped "tiny" jazz maple neck with Brazilian Rosewood veneer fingerboard, pre-cbs profile (1 7/16" nut, .78" at first fret), clay dots
    Alder body with nitro finish
    60's equivalent pickups (recommendations?)
    60's pickup position
    Hipshot ultralite tuners
    Hipshot vintage bridge
    Passive V-V-T wiring

I'd want to keep any preamps external. I have used a Sadowsky outboard pre pedal in the past with 70's Jazz Basses with excellent results. I'd be curious to hear everyone's thoughts on such a project and/or equivalents out there already. I'm especially keen on the smaller profile neck on an otherwise 70's Jazz.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't know of too many Jazz basses that are cut-out and carved from scratch by a single person. Most of the best sounding, most famous Jazz basses of all time were built from multiple pieces of wood on an assembly line.

3. shrigg

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    True. I think a multiple piece body would be okay. By bench made I am referring to a luthier using the same production techniques as Fender back in the day as seen in this video:

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I think you could achieve 90% of this type of project easily at a very high quality using already-available components... like Warmoth or USAGC offers. Or even Fender replacement components.

5. shrigg

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    I've owned a lot of the high quality aftermarket parts and none had the neck profile of the old Fenders.

This 65 Jazz was great, that's the feel I want (that bass is now gone).

65Jazz-1.

6. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Dec 16, 2012
    +1 - and for a fraction of the cost.

7. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You can bet that if CNC machines were available then they would have been using them. I agree there is something very cool about actual humans tooling an instrument by hand but realistically CNC machines are so much better(more accurate).

If you're looking for something hand-built like this I can totally respect it. If I was in your shoes I would go after the real thing, it may even bare the signatures and marking of the people in that video.

8. shrigg

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    I'm hoping to get it done for under $2K, the real thing would be a lot more...

9. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Gotcha.

A faithful and convincing hand-built copy of a vintage Fender in nitro for under $2k would be pretty sweet.

If haven't yet and you get a chance check out some of the offerings from Valenti, Bluesman Vintage, Johnk Vintage Basses and maybe Atkinson(if he's still building).

Although these folks primarily use pre-existing parts it couldn't hurt to talk to them about the neck profile you're seeking.

10. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    I'm making the assumption that something like a warmoth neck would have a bulkier profile? There is the option of taking a fat neck and having it shaved down by someone that knows what they're doing.