Bending and Sliding Harmonics?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass element, Jan 15, 2005.

1. can anyone explain how this is done?

2. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    you can bend a harmonic by bending the string past the nut at the top. or you could also bend the neck(don't do that to much)
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    To bend, you can push or pull the neck towards or away from you, or bend the string. It's really easy. To slide a harmonic, you must play it, and push it down (not to hard) and simply slide. It takes practice.
  4. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    This was originally shown to me as a fretless technique, but it workds well on fretted bass as well. Try practicing it on your 7 th fret harmonics (G string might give you the easiest access at first). Hit the harmonic and pressd own about halfway as you slide. It's ahrad to describe, but you have to get the feel for it and when you do you can slide in either direction as well as bend the note.
  5. A technique i saw a great guitarist use was what has since been described to me as 'artificial harmonics'. It's where you place your fretting hand down on the string like if you where just playing a normal note, but with your plucking hand you tap (not like with finger tapping, but more like a gentle flick) the string and octave above where you fretted it...

I hope this is making sense...

Another way to describe it is that you are using your fretting hand as a new nut for that string/strings, and therefore tapping the 5th fret (from your finger), 7th, 12th, 3, 3 2/3, 4, ext, will all produce harmonic tones...

The downside is it can have a hard sound, but you can change that when you learn to flick gently ;)
    kepp rockin' it up high :bassist: (even if it's only to get back at that overly loud guitarist)
  6. oh yeah, the reason i brought them up is it's easy to bend and slide them, because you just move your fretting hand like you would normally for normally plucked notes...

A little tip: if you do it softly you'll just get the harmonic.. bend or slide a little harder and you'll be getting both tones off the one string... can be kinda cool when used well...
  7. haha, ironically, thats exactly what i learned about today in my acoustic guitar class! so i kno exactly what your talking about. i watched a video of a guy named Doyal Dyke doing it and it looked pretty cool. anyways, thanx for the cool advice.

And ive been practicing and ive gotten the bending down pact. its the sliding im still working on. going from the 5th to 7th fret isnt so bad, but id like to hit the 5th or 7th to the 12th if possible. i guess its all in the touch.

thanx again.