Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bending neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Stefan, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Brian Stefan

Brian Stefan Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Wall, NJ
    The neck of my four string keeps bending out of tune after a few weeks. This causes a lot of fret buzz at the to most strings. How can I keep the neck from goin to hell.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hey Brian, we've been having some crazy temperature changes this winter... 50 and 60 degree weather (yuck!) changing to 6 degrees overnight will flatten out your neck. You'll need to add more relief. When it warms up again, your action will take another lift - i.e. cold = flatter, warm = more bow.

What kind of bass is it? I have to adjust my P-bass every time the seasons change. And living "down the shore" in Wall, you probably have some humidity issues playing into the equation as well.

Try to keep it in a stable temperature, and keep it in the case when you're not playing to help protect it from temp/humidity effects. And if you store it in a cold room, or take it out in the extreme cold, let it warm up/acclimate for about 30-40 minutes before you open the case.

And don't be surprised when this gets moved to the Setup forum... ;)