bending the bass neck after playing harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by malabito, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Hello everyone :cool: , this is my first thread, but I been around in the forum for about 2 years. I have seen many players play harmonics and bend their bass necks to create a cool effect, would that do any harm to my bass, or would I lost intonation. Thanks for the anwsers.

By the way, I am almost into any kind of music but prefer funk or any kind in which the bass grooves. I love jazz music, but dont know how to play it, I am studying for that, hope some day Ill do it.
  2. erich

Mar 3, 2003
    Birch Bay, WA
    Endorsing Artist: Kahler Bass Tremolos
    Hello Malobito
    This is also my first posting here in Talk Bass, but I only just registered this morning. :D

Neck bending is ok, provided you have your bass set up for it. You have to make certain that the neck bolts are really torqued down (I prefer to epoxy my necks in place) and that you are only doing slight bends. Extreme bending can ruin your alignment, or worse-snap off your neck! Now a bass with the neck going through the body will be a lot more stable-but again, you have to realize the stress you are putting on the neck could cause things to shift a little.

Personally, I'm a die-hard user of bass tremolo systems (I've been using Kahlers for over 18 years now), and I am always dropping harmonics in the manner in which you describe. I'll bend my neck once in a while for dramatic purposes-but as a rule, I use my trem to do any major stuff.
  3. empty_zed

empty_zed Guest

Feb 28, 2003
    hamburg, germany
    excuse this but what's neck bending exactly?
    I'm new to all kind of techniques and stuff so help me enlarge my horizon :D
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can also bend the string behind the nut, this gives a nice bending or vibrato for harmonics.
  5. Thanks for the replies. By neck bending I mean when you grab the neck by the headstock and slightly move it towards you, or away from you.
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah, guitar players do it all the time. Just don't try and do it on double bass!
  7. you can also play an artificial harmonic and just bend the string.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out "Silly Putty" by Stanley Clarke.
    ...Clarke & Gary King are the ones that exposed me to this.
    I have heard horror stories of guys snapping the neck from the screws.

Playing the harmonic & pushing down on the string behind the nut(near the string tree), as JMX sez, works nicely.
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    watch the Pastorius instructional video. He bends the neck quite a few times in the video.
  10. i bend the string if thats what you mean... I dont know about bending the whole neck of the bass, or am i just interpreting your post wrong?
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaco did it A LOT...that was one of his gimmicks, he would do a crazy dissonant harmonic chord really loud with distortion then he would bend his neck like mad to get it to wobble and bend.