1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Benefit/drawback of 2 vs 4 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swiegand51, May 13, 2018.

1. Swiegand51

Swiegand51

Feb 22, 2015
    Philadelphia
    I have a Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15 and I want to replace the speakers. Right now they are not original and two different speakers and I’m just not happy with them. So I found a lot of good info on replacement options in the forums and I’m gonna go with 2 Eminence 3015. But I wanted to ask opinions on ohms.

So there’s the 3015lf and the 3015lf4. I’m using an Ampeg SVT-CL and wanted to know if there is any benefit or drawback to running the head at 4ohms with the 3015LF or 2 Ohms with the 3015 LF4.

There’s a lot of ohm info on here but also a lot of contradictions so wanted to see if anyone with more knowledge and experience could shine some light on it for me.

I did see there is also the Eminence 3015 which seems to have larger frequency response rating on the high frequency so I guess that’s an option too.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    No benefit for a two ohm load in your case. The 3015LF doesn't sound very good for full range use.

The 3015 is great driver and will work well in that box. One of my favorites for full range use.

Swiegand51 likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    @agedhorse can probably tell you exactly what speakers the originals were, and where to buy them or suitable replacements.

Swiegand51 likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The LF versions are so different than the original drivers that I wouldn't recommend them.

The 3015 will work ok, but you might want to give customer service a call. I believe there are still some original Diesel and Powerhouse drivers still available from our parts department.

I would certainly go with 8ohm drivers and a 4 ohm cabinet, if for nothing else than compatibility with other gear and resale. A 2 ohm cabinet brings zero benefit and plenty of downside.

edencab, Swiegand51 and jhb138 like this.
  5. Agree with Agedhorse. No big benefit to a 2 ohm cab and a lot of amps will not do 2 ohms. Not a big deal now as your amp will go down to 2 ohms but it might be a problem if you ever want to sell the cab.

Swiegand51 likes this.
  6. Swiegand51

Swiegand51

Feb 22, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Thanks everybody for the info!! I’ll call customer service first then and see what they got. Really appreciate the feedback.

7. I would add a HPF, if you don't want new Diesel drivers crumbling under the weight of your SVT.