1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Benefit Show/ I need to vent?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ShawnStones, May 1, 2010.

1. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    I really got get this out to other people who would understand it. Haha.

So, my old band had some gear stolen from them. Right out of the house they practice at (the guitarist ex-step dad's). They have a pretty good idea who it was, but the cops are being zero help and pretty much don't care, even though they gave the cops the situation and a name and address.

Anyways, They are throwing a benefit show to try and recover/rebuy some of the stolen gear. The guitarist is one of my really good friends and the guitarist of this band and pretty much the guy in control of booking their shows and everything. He asked me and my new band to play the show, and we agreed.

To the point. He set the cover for $10!!! :eyebrow:

I tried to explain to him that people aren't going to care that they had their gear stolen. Benefit shows usually work and charge more and get away with it because it usually for someone thats dying or hurt or a charitable cause.

While I get what he's trying to do, I believe he's going about it the wrong way. To all the people that walk through the door that just want to go out and have some drinks and hear live music, being smacked with a $10 cover, IMO is going to turn alot of people away.

My suggestion was to charge the normal $5 and take donations throughout the night, go up during set changes and bring the jar with and leave it on their merch table while bands play. Or even do a 50/50 raffle. I tried to tell him, people would be more likely to pitch in a $5 donation AFTER they've been in and had a few.

What do you guys think?

The $10 cover going to blow up in his face and the show will be dead?

Or, will people really sympathize and pay the extra $5?

2. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    To begin with, I think a "benefit" show to recover stolen gear is pretty ridiculous, honestly. That aside, $10 cover depends on the band, and where the show is. I've had no problems getting that cover at one bar, but I know it's not going to work at a different kind of place.

3. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    To make it even worse, And I love the guy to death, but everyone I've talked to is tired of seeing this band. They play this town wayy too much and haven't really written anything new or changed things up at all. So why would someone pay an extra $5 to see them on this particular weekend, when they can catch them in 2 weeks for the normal $5?

I dunno. I tried to talk some sense into him, but he seems to think people will sympathize and pay the $10 anyways.

4. would the homeowners insurance cover some amount of personal property from a theft? i guess it depends on the policy, but yeah it sounds like 10 is too much.

5. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Maybe that's why somebody stole their gear!

6. I think the whole benefit show to get stolen gear back is pretty ridiculous. I like the idea about making donations to the band, but benefit shows are made to benefit an actual cause, not stolen gear.

7. DarkArwen

DarkArwen

Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah, I think they would be better off filing a claim with homeowners. That's what it's for anyway.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Screw "benefit" shows. A local advertised in CL for a United Way benefit. I inquired as to whether we'd receive a receipt for a contribution to a 501c3 charitable organization. "no" was the reply. Why the hell not? Because it's a ******** benefit, as most of them are.

9. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    The homeowners insurance only covers the house, not the contents.

10. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    It can depend; not all policies are the same. I've had gear stolen away from home that got covered. Not only that, but at 110% of the value minus deductible, which brought it up pretty close to full value!

11. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, I guess it's a free country. Your friend can organize an event for the cause of his choosing & set the admission fee. You can agree to volunteer for it. And the public can support it... or not.

Whatever the outcome, it could scarcely be the most inappropriate, or ineffective, benefit concert I've witnessed.