Benefits of a J-Bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Enlighten me J-Bass players...
  2. you can dial in multiple tones and a thin fast neck. i really dont see the point of threads like this. pick one up if you get the tone you want great if not move on.
  3. well if u dont see the point in threads like this...why did u read and reply to it buddy
  4. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    They are just awesome :smug:
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I dont see anything wrong with a thread like this , He wants to know the benefits of a J bass , big deal!

Anyway Jazz basses are extremely versatile and you can get many different tones on them , fast neck , great playability (depending on who the maker is) its a a real well rounded bass.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The single coil tone for slap (namely, both pickups on) is really nice, clean, and a classic tone. They are definitely different than something that has 2 P pickups or 2 dual-coil.

The versatility is amazing. From jazz tone a la anything you hear on a smooth jazz recording (Marcus Miller, to name 1) to the cutting tone you hear on Rancid recordings (Matt Freeman), to a ton of metal bands, the bass just fits.

Whether you spend $99 on an SX or $3999 on a Sadowsky, you hear what a J configuration does, as intangible as it may seem. (Yeah, obviously there are huge differences in these 2 basses, but they are both based on a J bass for a reason.)
  7. Jazz basses, and their surrogate clones, have that smooth quality to the tone that seems to compliment any kick drum, and give out that ultra scrotum, bass punch, while still sounding very organic and warm.

But most importantly, they are mad sexy! :D I think someone on the "Benefits of the P-bass" thread, referred to the Pre' as "the kind of woman who you can be yourself with and accepts you for who you are" or something like that.

Well by comparison, the J-bass is a hot biker skank who's whole purpose in life is to make you look good. :D
  8. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    That time of the month?
  9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Js are awesome.

Even the ad for the Perfect Bass on the left side of this page uses a J bass image.
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There is something about the tone of a Jazz that is quite alluring....

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Where to start?
    A body that feels comfy and familiar, it has a calming effect like your favourite toilet seat in your favourite bathroom(nothing like the "home court advantage!")
    The string spacing? nice and tight up top, plenty of width to negotiate at the bottom.
    The look: classic, demands respect because of the sound that is expected and respected.
    The sound: most duplicated bass ever, no need to go into specifics.

It's versatility cannot be disputed. The fact that the design is basically the same between a $200 J and $4000 J tells you all you need to know about who can take advantage of the "BENEFITS OF A J-BASS"
  12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Versatility, comfort, playability, tone(s), looks, quality (if you get the right one), customisable, recognised and respected by almost everyone, great history, reliability, bang for buck (in many examples), good investment (if you get the right one), and infallibility... as in "You just can't go wrong with a good Jazz bass".
  13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I really like that, I need to use that more often.
  14. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    The Jazz to me is more versatile than a P (P players, don't kill me here - just more versatile to me personally!). You can get that Jaco type tone, yet get close to a P tone with the neck pickup alone. You can mix them both for even more diverse tone options. It's also a great slap bass.

Then there's comfort. My '73 is the most comfortable bass I've ever owned. It just fits like a glove. I don't so much play it as I wear it. I just becomes a part of my body, it's hard to explain. It's like an old shoe - it fits.

Finally, like the P, you can get lots of aftermarket parts to personalize it to your tastes. Kind of like that kid down the street who's always tinkering with his car - mufflers, add on body kits, shifters, etc. You can really make it your own. Of course, you can do that with a lot of different bass makes, but the Jazz, like the P, is one of those classic designs that aftermarket parts manufacturers cater to in a big way.

You really can't go wrong with one IMHO.
  15. throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    i recently bought my first JBass.. an 83 USA Fender JBass.. i've always played a PBasses before.. i never really liked the JBass neck.. it has always felt too thin and narrow.. i just couldn't get used to the feel..

this time i forced myself to get used to it.. the price for the 83 was way too low for me *not* to buy it.. ;)

now that i've become used to the feel of the neck, i'm amazed with the tone and the way that it plays.. i have an 87 Charvel Model 3B with the JE2000 active PJ pickups, and it's so heavy and it's tone is not nearly as wide as the JBass is.. although, i do love the Charvel's tone.. it's more like a PBass on steroids, a concussive and hard hitting tone..

where the JBass isn't as "pissed off" as the Charvel, it makes up in a wide pallette of tone and is easier to play, due to weight and the neck..

because i played a much more focused music before, i've opened my playing to a much wider range of types of music.. and with that, i need a bass to cover a wider range of tone.. and the JBass really fits that need/want..

i'm really happy with my JBass..
  16. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Jazz Bass is your friend.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Out of the 6 electric basses i own-4 of them are either Fender Jazz Basses or a copy/knock there off. E.g. Fender MIM Jazz, 2 SX SJB62 [5 stringers], and a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5. All of those are based off of the Fender Jazz Bass. My first bass [the MIM] was a jazz bass and it feels like home to me no matter what other bass i have been playing. The other 2 basses i own [full size BG wise] are based off of the StingRay5-in other words slightly modified P-bass bodies with a single humbucker. I likey.

So yeah-the Good things about the J-bass. Tones-lots of variation there, neck [some like it-some don't], and the body just feels right-visually i prefer the P-bass body, but that's just me. Leo did something very very right when he came out with the J-Bass.

That's all
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mostly a P-player here, I'll admit I'm longing for a jazz bass. Sexy body, great curves, and the sound is a necessity for a gigging bassist. Need one of each if you're going to be playing a lot of different gigs.

Gotta love the jazz bass growl.
  19. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    The song "fall back down" by rancid is a jazz bass? Holy crap, I always thought that was a P-Bass, it sounds just like my bro's, this makes me want mine more now. I have a deluxe active soon to be shipped to me. Vintage white, tort pickguard, my god its so pretty-ful. :eyebrow:

I will report back and compare it to my ibanez artcore series (humbing pickup) and my bro's P-Bass, so I have the main 3 pickups in my house, so it'll be a good comparision.
  20. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    How come this thread seems to be far less popular than its twin 'benefits of a P-bass' ?