Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benefits Of A Zero Fret Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Feb 21, 2004.

1. One of the basses i have decided to maybe look into getting this summer i noticed has a 'zero-fret'. I was wondering what thoughts were one 'zero-frets' and if they changed tone much??
    Any real advantages to them?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The advantage of a "zero fret" is that your open notes sound more uniform with your fretted notes.

That's it.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Similar sound between fretted and open strings. I don't miss it on my Ibanez, though.

4. Thanks, i wasnt too sure...i dont remember ever really playing one...never noticed...
    And its something i dont really see come up ever so i was just curious.
    Thanks again.

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I've seen zero fret basses before and I didn't ever think of what they did. Now I know. :)

6. I guess another question would be: Are there any disadvantages to zero fret basses?

7. Disadvantage:

The open strings sound more like the other fretted notes.

Personally i like the sound of open strings, there is just something about them that appeals to me.

Bassis

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For me, nut vs. zero fret is way way down near the bottom of the list of criteria upon which I make a purchasing decision. :)

9. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Wouldn't a zero fret bass be a fretless! ;)

:bag:
    :ninja:

10. *Insert cricket chirping here* :p

11. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

LOL
    I know your out there, I can hear you chirping.
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno! :cool:

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Another disadvantage to the zero fret bass (well on MTDs), you'd need a Buzz Feiten tuner to do your intonation, regular tuning would be done in the same fashion though.

13. Diek

Diek

May 25, 2003
    Why would you need a special tuner to set the intonation? The zero fret is in the same place as the nut. The only difference is it's often the same heigh as the rest of the frets, where a nut is usually cut a hair higher. As I understand the Buzz Feiten system, one of it's benefits is to fix the intonation problems caused by a high nut. Since the zero fret isn't any higher than the frets, I'd immagine intonation would actually be more accurate than on a bass with a nut. Of course, you could always cut the nut to the same height of the frets, but then we wouldn't be discussing this.

*edit* I noticed you said "on MTDs." As I recall, some MTDs come standard with the Buzz Feiten system. So MTDs might need to use the buzz feiten tuner, but any ordinary bass with a zero fret won't.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can I get a bass with the zero fret on all but the E string? That would rock...get that nice phat E, with the crisp tones of everything else ;)

Sorry, drooling again.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my thoughts exactly,.

my hohner has a zero fret though..yay..

16. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I guess techniclly speaking, my fretless X-Factor has a negative one, and a negative two fret (E and D# w/the open D engaged)! :eek:
    So is it really fretless. :meh:
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

17. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Can we get some pictures in here!

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Here is a headstock of a Le Fay Capone 5-90

Most German basses have zero-frets (Warwick is an exception). My main bass has one too, I like the even tone and the low action it makes easy to achieve.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Could that also be achieved with a brass (or other type of metal) nut?

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Good question! We should post it in "ask the luthiers", although I think an open string sounds like an open string regardless of nut material...