Benefits of P-Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Enlighten me P-Bass players...
  2. uhhhh, why the sound of course!
  3. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    More consistency between low and high notes; less modulation compared to a jazz bass. Some people also prefer the wider neck & smaller body.
  4. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    It's like sittin' on the deck drinking your favorite beer on a summer evening after all the chores are done and there's no place to you need to be.
  5. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Plug and play. Brilliant!
  6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    A Fender made Precision bass specifically, or a P-type p/u equipped bass in general?

7. Why a Fender made of course....!
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    find yourself a good one, get familiar with it, and you will be enlightened.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love the P-bass sound. You might notice I don't own one, and in fact sold a rather good one a while back. It simply disagreed with the direction I was taking my amplification. I needed a pickup closer to the bridge than a P offers.

But, why? Because Jazz players are weenies. Ultra mega weenies.
  10. There is nothing that sits in the mix like a P-Bass.
  11. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    You could also liken a Precision to a chicken-fried steak. It ain't exactly the best thing for you and probably won't win any culinary awards, but daaamn if it doesn't taste great!
  12. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY

I have gone through my share of basses.... I will never get rid of my 79 P.
    - Tom
  13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
  14. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Bought one, love it.
    Tone is great, playability is good. Her simplicity makes her very easy to live with.

I think I'll keep mine forever.
  15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's the classic example of "phat". It was phat before phat was hip. And thick too...

There's nuthin' like it to fill up all the holes in yer mix. It's the sonic equivalent of corn starch. Or soy protein. Or beef bouillon...

16. Beef bouillon??? Thats some beefy ****
  17. mmmmmm, P-Bass. I assume you mean besides the sweet classic look. They just sound "right". Can't really say much more, it's just one of those magical things. haha
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If i could find a cost effective 5 string P-bass-i'd own one. It's tempting to pickup a 4 banger-but they feel weird to me now. [humor me-out of the 8 some odd years i've been playing 5s have been my main basses for more than half of em].

Why own a P-bass? Because nothing else is a P-bass. Some come close w/the fancy switching and electronics, but they still don't have *the* P-Bass Sound.

I find the body more comfortable than a jazz bass. However-the only bass i own that has a body that is close to a P-bass is my Ray5. Everything else i own is either an actual jazz bass [2 SX, 1 Fender] or something inspired by it [Pilot Plus 5] w/the exceptions being my upright and the ashbory.

That's all
  19. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just bought a new 1998 American P bass.
    SERIOUS THUMP AND FATTNESS through out all 4 strings. Did I mention THUMP AND FATTNESS?