Benevente or Nordstrand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Sep 30, 2003.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am getting married in a month, so I have not had a chance to go shopping for a new 6 for myself. Wah, I know, especially since I still have been trading basses. Anyways, I have come to the conclusion that even though I don't want to, I am going to sell mt MTD 535 because it never gets played. Pretty much because my R bass was an engagement gift, and its the best and last 5 I will need.

So, moving on to a 6, I thought long and hard about what I really want. Although a 6 string Roscoe Thunderbird would be the deal, I have decided a 6 string singlecut is the way to go for me. Plan on having a real nice flame top, and a deep blue stain on it. There is a bolin singlecut floating now that has the color I want (if It had the string spacing I wanted, it might be in my stable now!).

So, the two best choices I could come up with is the Nordstrand and the Benevente. Both are in the same price range, with around the same amount of wacky options. The nordstrand would probably take a little longer, but that is the least of my concerns now.

Any reason I should go with one or the other? Both of them seem like winners. Here is a pic of the bolin that I want the color of. Not the shape, just the color.
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    My preference would go to the Nordstrand!

Well now I don't see anything else than personal preference to go for one rather than the other.

I love the simple style and elegance of Carey's work. Needless to say that attention to detail looks amazing.

Here's my favorite Nordstrand:

Peace, JP
  3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks JP! coming from you that means a lot. If I was overseas, your name would definitely be in the hat.

something about the basses are Carey's site are just out of hand. That Redwood SC? forgetaboutit!
  4. After playing both, I would also go with Nordstrand. I have never seen better craftsmanship on any bass for any price than my SC5. The playability is almost effortless with great balance and the tone is like liquid velvet.

PM me for more details or to contrast my experience with both brands.

Here's a couple of pics.

5. That back is just awesome. Great lines and a great piece of wood.

6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, i already ordered my nordstrand, and i suggest you do the same. :)
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I cannot realy say eitherway, I love my Benavente enough to order another. The level of detail on mine is better then any bass I've played (I've not played a lot of High Enders as I'm not a "coffee table" bass kinda guy.

I do like the "look" of the Benaventes much better then the Nordstrand.

I think the Nordstrand upper horn/hump is a bit large and overpowering to the total look. The High gloss is ok, but I prefer a thin satin personally.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Much sleeker to my eyes...

Chris is handy with translucent color too

You said Blue right?
  9. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I've owned 3 Nords, and I've played several Benaventes. The Bennies are beautiful, well made basses that do play wonderfully, and I would not hesitate to order a singlecut 4 from either Access Bass or Brian B at the Low End. They're both excellent to work with, and nice guys to boot. With that said, I personally prefer the Nordstrands for many reasons....instant string response (regardless of bolt-on or set-neck construction), outrageous attention to detail, great woods (BTW, I was the guy who found Carey his chestnut supplier that you see on my SC4 fretless and Jeff Rader's back of his SC....thank thank you, I'm here until Thursday...don't forget to tip your waiter...):D , and a level of service and support that is 1st rate! Now in all fairness, I haven't owned one of Chris' basses, but I'm sure he'd take care of you as well. I played a singlecut 4 at NAMM that freaked me out!! It truly was the cat's fanny!! They both a good choice, but I think that once you play one of Carey's basses,you'll get it. Ask Jeff Rader through a PM....he'll fawn for hours!
    That being said, Chris B is a heckuva funny guy, and Brian B of LowEnd has a MUCH cooler haircut than Carey!;)
    I still am gassin' for a Vortex 4 lacquer on light swamp ash top/alder body, birdseye board and blocks....New York City!!:bassist: (Hint, hint, Brian and/or Adrian...PM me with a quote!!!)
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I don’t think there is a bad choice between the two.

I’m not sure asking this question will really help other then find out who owns Benavente’s and who owns Nordstrand’s. There is only really one person I know of that owns both builders basses (and JP's as well) and he won't say which he prefer, but he does like all three basses well enough to keep them all….

Most comments give will be with out playing both or if they have played both probably haven’t played the same model of each to compare at the same time. It also has to do with personal taste and style of the instrument.

It’s a tuff choice since both are very talented builders.
  11. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Figured it probably wasn't going to help that much, but some of the responses are interesting. Yeah, the one guy that had all three would be cool to hear from, but what I was curious to see was any negatives one might toss out, which aparently is none. But, if anyone has a thought about it, I am still listening.....
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL

I love 'em all, and you can't go wrong with either. It just depends on what your style, your needs, and what you're looking for.
  13. IMO, I prefer the Benavente SC shape to the Nordstrand. Besides that, they're awesome, and the level of finish looks quite the same.Might be a little bit classier with the Nords because of the glossy finish and the "simple style and elegance"(to quote JP;) ).
    If I can give you an advice take the look you prefer because they're surely both great sounding basses.

PS: for the shape I would probably go for a Bene.
    For the craftmanship: Nord.
    for the sound: both:D
  14. I don't think you could go wrong with eather. I think you should take a close look at the electronics options they each offer and the body shape differences. purely based on body shape I like the Benavente SC the best. this is a example they give on the benavente site:

15. I have to agree with what most people are saying. I would probably decide based on which one looks better since either bass is customizable enough that you should be able to get the sound you want by talking with the luthiers and picking the right pickup/wood/electronics/hardware combination. If I had to choose I would be in a world of hurt. I would probably have to find a way to get one of each.

16. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Thats exactly what I am doing.
    One of each. Here is my Benavente. The Nordstrand
    won't be here until Feb or so.:D :D
  17. I hate you..:bawl:

It looks like your Benavente has almost the same top as the other Bene pictured above.
    These tops have been taken in the same piece of wood I think
    Am I wrong?:)
  18. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Id go with Nordstrand by a hair.
  19. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Yes they are both from the same piece of
    wood. The funny thing is that the bass in the
    pic you posted was being built for me.
    Then the other one became available and I
    jumped on it. Brian made some changes and
    kept the one I ordered. Its a great bass!
    Dan:D :bassist:
  20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have played both because i am a dealer for both-
    it comes down to which does it for YOU!
    Careys work is immaculate- you want to put the bass is a glass case and just look at it- but it plays like a dream- and sounds great!
    Chris' basses have a little more of a "bad boy " attitude-
    i took one on a gig tonight and it sounded awesome! i really like the Suhr pre and Dimarzio combo
    both luthiers are committed to being their best-
    few differences are scale lenght ( standard: Bennie 35 and Nordie 34.5)
    and also Chris likes a satin finish and Carey does a killer gloss - not thet they couldnt do both- they can- it just sems like preference..
    do like Horace and Dan!! buy both!!!