Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benevente???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Last Friday, 3/14/03, I started a thread that was asking the differences between Beneventes and Foderas. My point being that according to the article in Bass Player Magazine and the Benevente web site, the Benevente seemed to be very similar to one of the Fodera models. They have a similar body style and (I think) some of the same electronics. I was wondering if the Benevente was significantly different to justify its existence. I've played Foderas but not Beneventes.

No one has responded to the thread. Does anyone know anything about the Beneventes? I was hoping to hear that there is a significant difference as variety tends to lead to progress and innovation. Any responces???

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's 'Benavente' and there have been many threads on them.

Which Fodera does the one I'm getting next week compare too?
    [​IMG]

3. Ok :confused:.

I don't think he is insinuating that the Benavente is a rip off. He is just asking a question. I am unsure about having to justify its existence by being different.

Granted, there are differences between the two companies, but on some level they are both simply bass manufacturers (though I guess Benavente also makes guitars).

Geoff

4. Bassmanbob

Obviously not one of yours. If you look at the Bass Player mag last month, the Benavente looks very similar to one of the Fodera single cut basses.

Maybe I'm off base (or bass).

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

BMB- I think everyone can come to their own conclusions on this one but I'd be careful. This started a heated discussion between some people last time it was brought up. I'd suggest to do a search to see what I mean...

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, that's my bass there! James you got yours yet???

Bassbob...I think you should try one and decide yourself. There are many builders out there with similar designs and styles to choose from. I just think Chris BenAvente builds a very solid instrument. I have a SC6 and the 51P. Hopefully, I'll be getting my vortex this week. I'm still thinking about a vintage vortex. In regard to sounds...well if you use similar electronics, they are going to sound very similar. The difference is the feel, balance and comfort of the bass. The vortex 51P up there is slap happy and sounds just like my Sadowsky....On the other hand, the SC6 has a monster tone for finger style. There are so many options to choose from in a custom ordered instrument. If you wanted your next Benavente to look and sounds like your Fodera, I'm sure Chris can build one just for you. Check it out, I think you'll like it...and I'll bet you is alot cheaper than your Fodera.:bassist:[​IMG]

7. Bassmanbob

I've gotta go and won't be back until tomorrow.

Understand that I was wondering if there was a difference. I had no intention of accussing any company of copying another company's work.

I spent a small amount of time on the Benavente website and read the BP article. I'm not that familiar with Benavente. I started this as a fact finding thread. If this is such a controversial topic, then please remove it.

Bob

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :p yeah it is!!! When I spoke with Chris last Thursday He had just painted mine.... soon :bassist:

BassmanBob, sorry if I knee jerked, but you were looking to 'justify its existence'... and I'm the guy that designed the website :)

I happen to think most single cuts look the same ;) and I do prefer Chris' older style SC to the one reviewed.

Sorry I missed your other post... but I've only played one Fodera 10 years ago, and am anxiously awaiting delivery on my Benavente 51.

Have you looked at the Benavente Yahoo! group? There seem to be a few owners on the list that have owned both.

9. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    [​IMG]
    The regular Vortex. I also wouldn't mind a 4-string version of the Vintage Vortex. Congradts, speddling!

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    WOW those are extreemely beautiful!

Swap the J's for some humbuckers or split coil type things and Im all over those!

How much $ more or less?

Peace
    Nick

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :D

[​IMG]

They can be ordered with just about any pickup config.

for pricing go to http://www.benaventeguitars.com acd click on dealers... any one of them can give you an idea of street cost (also a price/option/spec list is on the basses page)

My 51 is a thinner coat of white on Ash with no dot inlays... Chris carved Ash pickup covers for mine so they should look like the pickups of the blue Vortex on the Featured page except Ash instead of Maple.

I'm days away from exploding... at least my new 1969 Sunn tube head (gift from the wife) should be delivered by Thursday to keep my mind off the wait and I did get a gift certificate for the local music shop I'm gonna try and spend tomorrow (today is my birthday)

12. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Happy Birthday!!

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I'll chime in with a disclaimer because I just became a Benavente dealer. there is a reason why that happened. At NAMM this year, I was a little underwhelmed at the offerings. Fodera usually has one of the most active booths filled with showpieces- this year, i felt they were a little tame- I think Foderas are wonderfull basses and I have owned a couple. They certainly have a loyal following and deserve the praise they get-
    Benavente, while I must admit , didnt snare me with the previous years models , certainly had my attention this year- visually and sonically.
    I have stated before that in my opinion, it is difficult to design a singlecut bass without at least suggesting Fodera- its the design by nature. I now believe some builders may be purposely staying away from the Fodera design becuause they dont want controversy- fact is, singlecut, in my opinion, is a design that WORKS- the added stability to the neck is undeniable.
    Every design is going to draw comparison- Benavenetes singlecut previously was reminiscent of a Warrior , to me. I like the new sc design much more- does it resemble a Fodera more? maybe, maybe not- i like the offset body at the heel- I believe the new bennies are more offset than the Foderas- but a singlecut looks like a sc- unless you are dramatically different- which could result in a silly looking design just because youre trying to avoid the Fodera look-

now, as far as them being the same bass... not even.
    ;)
    Fodera uses pickups and electronics that are exclusive to them- even if you get a Fodera with aeros and a Benavente with aeros- they are different aeros- the fodera preamp is also exclusive- they guard that witth a passion,, cant blame them.
    but the Benavente, well.. let me tell you, they feel great, play great and sound great- the Vortex i played at NAMM had THE tone!! the slap sound coming from it was top notch- the fingerstyle sound as well- the construction is immaculate- Chris will work with you on your choise of woods, electronics, etc.. he will customize to the gills if thats what you want ( but please dont call him, he is busy making my basses)
    just recently , when discussing options for one of my basses he hit me fromleft field with an idea most builders would shy away from.. lets just say it involved added meticulous work- Chris seems to welcome this when some other luthiers are set in their ways and offer what they offer, take it or leave it..thats fine,too.
    I just happen to think Chris is going to take off as a liuthier and his designs are evolving and gettting better and more attractive and i had a sense if wanting to be part of it by becoming a dealer-
    again, Im buying 2 basses from him and thats about as good anendosement as I can give... its my hard gigged money!!
    YES!! there is a reason for them, they are nothing like Foderas once you get past the fact that its a singlecut , offered in buckeye , but not necessarily.. heres my virtual rendering of what my fretted will look like- but five strings

and yes, they are considerably less expensive!
    [​IMG]

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    thanks!

That is a Happening Bass Adrian!!!
    [​IMG]
    Shawn had a lot of good things to say about that bass when he received it! Between what the 2 of you have said + Brian's input, I almost switched my order to a Vortex... but I've been GASing for a 51 P 5 string since before Chris built his first one :)

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the bass is happening!! the played is UUGGGLLEEE!!! :D

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It just comes down to basically what people like and don't like. I seriously doubt I will find something that is as good as a Fodera *for me* since I've already played just about everything. However I will get a Benavente one day unless I get a chance to try one first and don't like it for whatever reason. But otherwise I WILL get at least one.

Kudo's to Adrian for being one of the first people I've seen to say "I like Benavente's and they are totally different from Fodera's"

I've seen a lot of other crap being said that was quite the opposite in other places...

17. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I just wanted to add more to what Adrian said. The Benavente preamp is a lot more aggressive and has a lot more impact. The Fodera preamp is a little more passive sound and not aggresive. You just have to play it to appreciate the monster tone. The slap tone is a killer. Really Cool stuff!

I'm a true Benavente believer!!

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ahhhh....I can finally speak up and speak my mind because I let my Benavente dealership go.

I really have nothing to add to what's already been said except that I firmly believe in my heart of hearts that Chris Benavente is a true artisan and a man of passion, intelligence and true mastery of his artform.

Do his singlecuts look at first glance like a Fodera SC?? Yes! of course they do! A blind man could see the similarities! Anyone who says any different is deluded. Any singlecut will be able to be traced back to a Fodera for inspiration don't you think? I raise my St. Paddy's Day brew in the direction of Joey & Vinnie! LOL...LaDudette and I had a great time with Joey as our tour director at NAMM a few years ago...a true brother! Love you man!

The thing that really matters is that Chris Benavente is equally a man of passion, creativity and talent...a player himself and a person I know for a fact truly doing his best to master his craft and doing quite well in my considered opinion!

My disassociation with his line had nothing to do with the quality of his instruments or him as a person....quite the contrary actually. It had more to do with my inability to put one more plate on a stick and keep it spinning along with 6 or 7 others at the same time...nothing more...nothing less!

I'm so sure of potential Benavente owner's satisfaction that I would not hestitate in recommending someone plop down $2,500 - $3,500 to buy one sight unseen. You call Adrian and tell him what you want down to the fricking knobs you want and it'll be done!

And that you can take to the bank in my very broad experience in this business! The man and his instruments are straight arrow all the way IME.

Hey Chris...we never did get hammered together bro.....we should have huh? I love my Bubinga Vortex!

[​IMG]

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Ok so it's 5:00 AM on a St. Paddy's day afterglow and 8 or 9 St. Pauli Girls and 4 plates of cabbage & corned beef but here's my honest crituique of my bubinga Benavente Vortex.

Live pic:

[​IMG]

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The first adjective that springs to mind is ..."sleek"

This bass has hands down the fastest neck I've ever had the pleasure to play. Satin finish and narrow, flat profile makes this thing an F-16 for speed.