Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

benifits of hollow, semi,or solid

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vancan, Aug 22, 2002.

1. vancan

vancan

Aug 21, 2002
    massachusetts
    i was just wondering the differeence besides weight of semi hollow basses hollow basses and solid ody basses well thats it really thanks for taking the time.

2. *bump*
    C'mon guys this sounds like a pretty interesting thread. I would like to get some answers to this question also!

3. It's the sound. If you want an acoustic sounding instrument sound but prefer the feel of an electric instrument then a semi-hollow might be the thing for you. It's somewhat between the two.

Hanewinckel Guitars ( http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/ ) does semi-hollow bodies now. No pics at the site yet.

I'm hoping to get a semi-hollow one of these days. Probably in a year or two.

- Dave

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't know if it is too big of an issue nowadays, but feedback is much more common with hollow-bodied instruments.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It is. Ive heard that some guitarists use semihollow guitars because they are easier to get feedback from.

Solidbody instrumnets have more punch and attack where as hollowed out bodies have more resonance, and tend to be a little bassier.

Peace
    Nick

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How do you define semi hollow vs hollow body?

Soundwise, there is not much difference between a solidbody and semi hollow, meaning solid center and hollow wings in the body. Not more than between different woods. Air chambers and very light woods have similar acoustic respons, though air can be a little louder...

A full hollow body should be though on as an acoustic instrument, with a very shallow body. The top/lid should be thin and braced. The pup should be atached to the back of the guitar, to minimise feedback, but there will always be some feedback present.
    Soundwise, it gets acoustic. Thumpy, shortish sustain... Acoustic!

Then, you can make all different compromises, by just adding backbone between neck and bridge. Thinner or thicker, on top or on back, wide or narrow... the spectre is vast!