Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benjamin Strange, bassist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes friends, I have joined a band. An already established band. A radio friendly band. A band that plays in 4/4. A band that I will be doing nothing but play bass for. Yes, I am selling out/laying down/sucking up to the man.

Since there is already a clearcut leader in the band, I'm not sure how much creative input I am going to have. They've indicated that they are wanting for me to pull them in some different directions, but considering that they already may have some commercial appeal, I don't think they would want my full input; I'd ruin them. So essentially I will be going in, playing bass, and that's it. It's an oddly liberating feeling. I don't have to spend countless hours programming drums! Glee! I don't have to setup click tracks in 17/8! Joy! I don't have to annoy my neighbors screaming into a microphone! Happy! I don't have to decide whether the guitar sounds better with a ring modulator or an envelope filter! Bliss!

Best part is, they like distorted bass, which I will gladly supply via my rig that I am dedicating to this project: BassTriaxis, Strategy 500, 1x15, 1x18. :D You want low end, you got lowend. Prepare to poop.

2. I got some advice for you little buddy. Before you point your finger, you should know that I'm the man!

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If I'm the man then you're the man.

4. how will you survive? no 17/8? radio-friendly? will the real ben strange please stand up? :D

in all seriousness, thats cool. i am in the same situation. i came into an established band, played what the guitarist wanted me to play, added my own nuances, everything worked out.
    good thing about distorted bass, same here, my new band loves it, and it works!

have fun you dirty sellout! :p

Charlie :D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    and he's the man as well, so you can shove the ****** finger up your ***!

anyway, congrats, I think. Your not giving up your solo stuff right? Because that would be wrong.

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Don't you mean "boy"?

:D

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    SOAK EM UP FULL OF INDUSTRIAL BEN!

hehe audio clips?

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I believe I just pooped reading your rig description! Now I gotta go clean up........

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Quoting tool now? You did sell out man. It use to be about the 13/7!

Have fun playing for Nickleback or whatever. Jerkass. :spit:

:D Nah, have fun with it. But don't forget your roots man. :D

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Congrats! I'm doing the solo thing right now, but I'm looking to get into an actual band as well where I can let other people worry about the guitar sound and what-have-you: the very liberation you speak of. Plus I miss bouncing ideas off of other people in a creative process. Bouncing ideas off of myself gets me a little loopy sometimes.

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    What's the name of the band?

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, rather than make fun of you,,, I'll say Congratulations!
    I'd only suggest you iron out your postion early... because if you wait until later, you'll have to fight harder, & the "leader" will be less likely to accept your input, at that time.

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    A Tool reference is ALWAYS a good thing!

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -- good grief man, remember us when your a big rock star!

Is that you playing bass? Huge tone! Quite a good recording too. Don't take this the wrong way, I do anticipate large commercial appreciation for it.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not one much to make statements like this, but:

Best tone ever. Seriously.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good stuff, ben. good sound, and tight. good luck with it :)

18. Wow! I think I'd sell out to make music like that! Just don't tell me that you sold out long before we ever heard your name... :rollno: :help:

Anyway, those clips are great and I hope to be hearing some more from you soon. :bassist:

Leigh

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The vocals remind me of David Sylvian (except slightly deeper)...especially in the second one.

brad cook

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, and killer bass tone too.

brad cook