1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Benjamin Strange vs. Dallas, TX.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm hanging out in Dallas until the 29th of September - I've been here for less than 24 hours and I'm already bored.

Spier's Music has closed. Larry Morgan's Music has closed. Brook Mays is gone. Trees has closed. Deep Ellum is a joke - it's insanely crowded, crime ridden, and mostly caters to DJs and doesn't have much live music (that I'm aware of). I don't know where to find live jazz anymore. Marshell Ivory is dead. Earl Harvin is gone. Traffic is insane. I'm surrounded by strip malls and giant chain stores (I found myself completely lost in Fry's Electronics today, looking for a single ethernet cable to no avail.). My little Honda is dwarfed by the giant trucks on the roads here. My mohawk is the subject of a bit of gawking. It's hot.

Help me out, Dallas-ites. Surely there has to be a reason so many people live here. What am I to do over the next three weeks? Are there any decent music stores left in this city? Any bands or venues to check out? Any cool museums, events, or anything of culture that I should see?

I'm already starting to spend way too much time on TB again. I need something to do, and fast.

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Is there a city you aren't currently at odds with?

As far as help in Dallas, I have no idea. Denton up to the north has some jazz and good venues though.

3. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Listen inside yourself for the voice calling you: "Coomme down to Auuussttinn.....Coomme down to Auuussttinn....."

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Damn! I loved playing at Trees. :crying:

I sort of miss living in Dallas but mostly it was becoming the way you describe by the time I left (in 2001) and it's not really surprising to see this post.

I agree wrt going to Austin, although right now might not be the best time due to the huge refugee traffic wave.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not at odds with any city, really. I was at odds with Louisiana's electricity provider, Honda, and Jive1, but not against a particular city - until I came to Dallas.

I do plan on visiting Austin over the next few weeks. I understand they have some decent BBQ down there...

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    STUBB'S.

7. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    yes. austin.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Doesn't anybody like Dallas? Surely all 4 million Dallas-ites can't hate this place, can they? Does everybody here wish they lived in Austin?

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I find that Dallas people hate Austin and Austin people hate Dallas. There are exceptions but that's the gist of it. I liked what Austin was years ago but as of late it's been a mere shadow of it's previous self. On there other hand there's still great BBQ to be found!

10. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    here's my take, fwiw:

brook mays still has a few locations in the metroplex, but they no longer carry anything but school band instruments, according the employee on the phone last time i called

there aren't many decent music stores, it's pathetic when one considers the population and geographical size of the place...there's a cool cat named dwayne in zoo music, next door to where larry morgan used to be--he's the only guy in town i like to deal with, really

there was a cool show last night with Hawk vs Dove (metal side project of some guys i know) and lights of dragna at the Prophet Bar (old Gypsy Tea Room)

today there's the deep ellum/dragon street art walk, with holy diver playing at club dada green room (they play hilarious covers and orginals on tiny instruments, it's a lot of fun--this is the alter ego of Hawk vs Dove)

museums--you're in luck...downtown dallas, check out the DMA and especially the Nasher Sculpture Center...the Nasher is a world class facility designed by Renzo Piano...you're a little early, but there Norman Foster's Winspear Opera house in under construction near the Nasher, as well as the wyly theater designed by Rem Koolhaas...dallas will be the only city in the world that has four buildings within one contiguous block designed by Pritzker Architecture Prize winners...

then, there is of course the Kimball in Ft. Worth, which is a world-renowned museum by Louis Kahn

...if you head to ft. worth, you'll see the Dallas Cowboys stadium under construction in Arlington--the arched truss structure visible from the highway span 1/4 mile, the longest free-span structure in the entire world, and we could put the statue of liberty inside the stadium and close the roof...the jumbotron will span from 20-yard line to 20-yard line

deep ellum almost died a few years ago--djs moved in, violence skyrocketed, but the city finally balanced a police presence that curtailed the violence while still allowing the public to enjoy themselves...we play the curtain club/liquid lounge often, and there's a handful of venues with good live music--it's a tough market these days with not as many people going for live music as 15 years ago, but i feel we're making progress

there's a lot of art lofts near deep ellum as well, with almost weekly gallery parties

traffic--i say that I-30 is the most magnificently-designed parking lot ever constructed...Central Expressway and 635 run a close 2nd and 3rd:)

all in all, the traffic is horrible, there's lots of snooty people, there's not enough life downtown, and there's a lack of public transportation...but we're working on it, and hopefully one day...

pm me if you want to meet up:cool:

11. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    When I lived there Pagan Rhythms was a good music store, open until the wee hours. I remember one night about midnight deciding I had to have a certain Miles Davis CD, driving into town, and straight to Pagan Rhythms.

Greenville Avenue had some good music clubs, too. It is north of the megaplexian downtown area.

It's been a while since I lived there. Everything was starting to go corporate/chain when I left.

Check the Dallas Observer. It will have all music listed by genre and by venue. You never can tell who might be there. Last time I as in town I found that I had just missed Stanley Clarke by a couple of hours.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    on a mostly unrelated side note I must say that the Dallas World Aquarium is very, very impressive and completely worth visiting.

bc

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Hey Benjamin,

I'd invite you out to our gig tonight, but the venue we are at is a bit...well, stuffy, and I'm not sure our music would be your thing..we play kind of a rock/classic rock/blues/gospel genre with a smokin high energy female singer.

The venue is a supper club, and they are on us all night about volume...We will play a low key/bluesy first set, but by the middle of the second set and through the third set we will open it up some though...

Oh heck I'll invite you anyways...I like meeting other TB folks...we are at Sambuca in Addison (off Addison Rd. just north of Beltline)...come on out...I will buy you a drink!

Here's our website:
    http://www.maylee.com/

Hopefully we will have at least a small crowd tonight with the storm in the area...

PS - I see you are a Mesa guy...I'm good friends with Steve Mueller who's with Mesa...he lives here in the Dallas area...and he frequents our shows...don't know if hew will be out tonight though.

Take care,

Gerry

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm pals with Steve Mueller as well, although I haven't spoken with him in a few years. He was the guy who got me into Mesa stuff.

Perhaps I'll come out - there's absolutely nothing going on here, and I used to love seeing jazz down at the Sambuca in Deep Ellum. Sadly, most of those old jazz greats are as dead as the scene in Deep Ellum...

15. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

there's a sambuca now located on mckinney and pearl st in the uptown area--i've heard some great jazz ensembles there, although it's usually a more 'polite' setting than i prefer

for some jazz, i highly recommend you check this out--pappas bros. steakhouse in dallas hosts a jazz trio on Saturday nights that is absolutely killer...pianist and percussionist are teachers at UNT, and my instructor, Renny Corrente, is on electric bass...great jazz with lots of brazilian fusion thrown in...if you're here all month, i invite you to go with me--Renny has been wanting to do a set with my Roscoe so i can hear it from the audience anyway

edit: i've been wanting to check out fishtx band for a while too, sounds like good stuff

16. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Hey! Go see Russ Hewitt at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine. He's M-W 6:30-9:30 at the Ama Lur restaurant. Flamenco/fusion/jazz. Usually Bob Parr is playing bass for him. Really good stuff. Tell him Kwin recommended the show.

Bleed Down is at O'Riley's on the 26th. It's on Forrest in Dallas. I don't have the exact address on me. Check the link on my MySpace. This is a shameless plug for my band. Come out, find me-It's not difficult-and I'll buy you a beer/drink or two.

...so there, two great recommendations for your stay.

p.s. I'm also a M/B user. Titan and Powerhouse 4x12...just in case you haven't heard that particular combination...

17. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    dude--btw, this burnt infant stuff is superb...definitely not what i expected, but i've been listening to 3 songs now on the myspace and i want a copy:cool:

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I can't do anything on the 26th, unfortunately. My little sis is getting married the next day, and I have a rehearsal dinner to go to. Lame...:rollno:

Are there no places in Dallas to see live music that doesn't involve food?

19. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Yeah. Sambuca. Russ plays there frequently on Friday nights.

Also. Grab a Harder Beat from one of the GC's, venues, head shops, etc. It'll give you an idea about the rock 'n roll scene in the metro...and has a live review of BD this month...hehe.

My last edit got eaten.
    The Palladium Ballroom has Nightwish this coming Tuesday night. Don't know if you're into that. I'll be there. The Ridglea Theater in Ft. Worth has a variety of acts throughout the week. I never seem to figure out which days they are open during the week. Can be kind of hit or miss as far as talent goes.

Those would be non-food spots.

20. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I agree it is nowhere as cool as it used to be, but I'll say the same thing about North Texas. I have lived in both and made a lot of music in both.
    I must be one of the exceptions.