1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Benjamin Strange vs. Honda.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The hot weather here fried the main power relay in my 1991 Honda Civic. Apparently, when the inside of my car heats up, the circuit board in the relay expands, and over time creates tiny cracks that cause the car to refuse to start on hot days. Since it's hot all the time down here during summer, my car wasn't starting more and more often, and I have gotten temporarily stranded three times in the last two days.

I figured I'd fix it myself - how hard can it be? It's just a small electronic component under the steering wheel, and it's a simple unplug, replug maneuver, right? Boy, was I wrong.

Witness:

[​IMG]

Everything under the steering wheel is very easily accessable EXCEPT the main power relay. I had to remove much of the dash, and still couldn't get at it. I had to pull and stretch a portion of the dash just to get in there and remove a single retaining bolt. After cursing up a storm and cutting the back of my hand, I got it out - only to discover the parts store had sold me the wrong replacement. Once I got the correct replacement, I had an even more difficult time getting the new one back in there. More cursing ensued. This little tiny fix that I thought was going to take me 30 minutes ended up taking 3 hours. Ugh. My hands are sore and I'm all sweaty and stinky.

But I feel damn good. I accomplished something today that is usually out of my range. I was able to isolate my problem and solve it, thanks to the wonders of the internet. This probably would have cost me $200 or more in parts and labor to replace at the shop, but I was able to pull it off for $65, with a sprinkle of cursing and blood thrown in. I'm awesome.

2. Ah, the joys of automotive repair....especially the cursing part. My hands are always too big to get where I need them to. Bloody knuckles used to be an understood casualty.

Ben, on the other...no dice. Sorry. The two departments are outside of eachother's sphere of influence.

Mike

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Honda's are a biatch to work on. Everything is so tight.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oddly, this particular car has been a breeze to work on. I know next to nothing about cars, yet I've managed to keep this one moving with ease. It helps that there's almost nothing in it - no power steering, no stereo, no power anything, no A/C. It's pretty spacious under the hood, and under the dash, with the exception of where the main relay was. What a pain in the keyster.