1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Benjamin Strange vs. Louisiana Engtergy, LLC.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It seems a few of us are having problems with our bills this month. Mine revolves around my electric bill. Normally, my bills hover around $95 during the summer months - I'm a severe cheap skate, I always keep my thermostat high, and turn off the A/C on those rare days when it's cool enough to open the windows. Last month, my bill was very low: only $53. This month, it's $311! That's 6 times what it was last month, and 3 times what it was this time last year. What the hell?

Now, I know that fuel charges have increased, as the natural gas used to generate the electricity has gone up, but still - triple my normal bill? I read the meter, and it seems like it was read correctly, so I don't understand why my bill is so high. According to my energy use history, I've averaged about 500 kilowatt hours per month over the last year, yet this month my bill states that I've used 1980 kWh. The only thing that has changed is that I've brought my bass amp inside (it previously lived in the trunk of my car, since I was gigging so much). I seriously doubt that a little bit of playing at home would use an extra 1500 kWh.

Is there anything I'm missing here? TB electricians - help?

I'm going to fight this. I'm trying to move out of this godforsaken place, and I can't afford to be throwing money away the day before my move. This sucks.

2. You and mike are both from LA. Maybe the same guy computed your bills. :smug:

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Ok.....who did what to the daughter in the driveway the CEO of Louisiana Engtergy, LLC?

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would, but I think I've done enough to hurt Major Metal's feelings.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Check your previous months bills. Sometimes the electric company will send an "estimate" bill based on your previous use history and then they will eventually get around to actually reading the meter. That's when you get hit if your usage was more than they were estimating.

6. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    My gas bill was triple normal this month too, had to read my own meter and argue it down.
    Must be a vast government conspiracy.

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Man, Louisiana is ******* up.

8. I feel your pain. You're right to argue the usage, though. When my debacle began last month, they kept trying to tell me about the extended billing cycle and increase in rates and blah, blah, blah. I requested the Water Consumption History and got my bill reduced based on the ridiculous amount listed versus my usage over the previous 5 years. Good luck. Utilities suck.

Mike

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I did - every bill is around the same usage. I'm averaging about 500 kWh per month - this one was 1980. Something fishy going on.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I feel your pain. In my last apartment [also a studio] my electric bill was $15-20 in the winter and then $35-40 in the summer [window AC]. I just moved and my bill is $92. My previous usage was 300-400kwh and this month it says 726. So-i've emailed the electric company and I'm going to call them too.

Ok, i know different apartment, different AC, etc. However, I haven't been home a whole lot and I've ran this AC unit even less than I ran my nice one. When I leave for work at 8:30AM the only stuff that is on is: computer, refrigerator. No lights, no TV that is still plugged in, nothing but my fridge and computer. When I get home around 7PM, I turn on my AC for about 3hours. I turn it off once I go to sleep and I turn on a box fan.

Somehow, that means $92. I live in a studio apartment and I have all CFL bulbs, even when I have on every light in the place it's less than 100 watts.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is your AC running more than usual? If you have an AC problem such as a coolant leak or something it can cause it to suddenly stay on all day and really drive the bill up. You could always just do what I do and leech off other people...I took over 80,000 gallons of water from some poor sap last month.

bc

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Sorry if this sounds terribly ignorant, but perhaps Gustav and the aftermath has somehow screwed up the utilities somehow and has made the utility bills go all wacky?

13. fate

fate

Sep 17, 2006
    Do you have any outside outlets? Do you think someone may have helped themselves to some juice while you were at work?

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'd ask them to come down and look over the service box. It does seem like someone tapped into your service and used your electricity.

15. Sorry, I can't help with this one.

:ninja:

Ben, I'd bet on some kind of issue related to the Gustav stupidity...

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ugh... I failed. Entergy is refusing to budge. I guess you just can't fight a 11 billiion dollar Fortune 500 corporation. Feel free to post Fail pics.