Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benjamin Strange's "Sicarii"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mark beem, May 3, 2004.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WOW!!!!

Now that's some "out there" s**t!!!!

If you haven't already, check out TBer Ben Strange's composition he has in his sig!! Cool stuff!!!!

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Everyone should check out his recordings on his website, Benjamin Strange. There's some good recordings on there. Can't remember if there's any Dead Hand System left...don't think so...but the solo stuff is GREAT!!

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's like the soundtrack to suffocating. I seriously dig this stuff.

You rock Benji.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Whoa! Thanks alot guys; you just made my day.

I feel famous now. Watch out for my inflated rock star ego in the next few weeks. :smug:

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hope Behind the Music interviews me about him....

I remember Benjamin from way back, you know before he was famous. He went by the moniker "basstriangle"....er "basstricycle"...er "basstreeaxle" or something like that. He was making this crazy music that was out there and very good. Now, it's important to realize that not many people can combine those two things, out there and good. I believe he was living on the west coast at the time, before his meteoric rise to the to. Let me tell you a story about Benjamin and the crotch grabber..... (rambles on drunkenly)

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Dude, THAT IS FUNNY! It's not often that somebody can type something that can make me laugh like that. Jolly good.

Don't worry; I'll remember all you little people once I'm famous. I just hope that when I'm rich, I won't hate poor people like I do now. :D

7. oh man, how did i get wrapped up in the behind the music special?

good song.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've liked all his stuff I've heard so far.
    Keep 'em coming!

9. *stands with e-bow at the ready*

Damn...

Seriously, nice job man. I still have the test DHS song. "Ben likes lumberjacks with big strong hands, upon.. his.. bot..tom..."

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    HA! You are one of the few that has ever heard it. It's actually hidden on the Dead Hand System website.... I don't think anybody has ever found it. :D

11. I just found it on the website.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    timing. :bassist:

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

All I know is Smile freakin rocks. Yes the production could be tweaked, but I think it sounds great. A bit long after the middle part. But it gives it a good ambient dark feeling. Reminds me of Godflesh, kind of tOOl grove at times. Are you playing all the instruments on that? I would love play guitar with stuff like this.

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I agree; my production skills on Smile aren't great, but I'm learning. I've got another "metal" song finished that sounds much better already - now I have to write lyrics (ugh!). I was actually trying to go for more of a Ministry/Meshuggah sort of vibe with Smile, but I guess that got a little lost in the process.

Yup, I played/programmed everything on Smile. The whole point of this is to try to use these demos to form a band, which is something I've been having serious problems with. Odie, I know you just bought a house and all, but would you like to move to San Francisco? I promise I won't make fun of you for playing guitar. :D

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Move to western Mass, I'll play guitar! (I hear you, you can stop laughing now.)

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Funny thing is the song I posted a while back on shows me playing bass and guitar and vocals. :eek:

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you were looking for a bass player in Northwest PA, I'd drop out of college and join. But I don't know if I'd be good enough. Good luck getting a band together, get famous and tour around my area. That would be killer to see live.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm sad now after listening to your songs. Depressing vibe/way a helluvalot better than I am... at everything. :crying: I suck.

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually, I like your stuff, too. Kind of makes me think of a synthy, Primusy, Bootsy-y sort of vibe. Don't be so hard on yourself; you have interesting ideas.

I'm really digging "Wearing Thin", for some reason. Makes me think of Field of Dreams for some reason. Maybe because Kevin Costner is such a terrific actor, and... wait. I'm not making sense.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He's no Harvey Keitel, but he gets the job done. :smug: