Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benson Strangeland: How can Ween suck?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Now the thread shant be derailed further.

Ween sucking is impossible. It can't be done. The brothers Ween are brilliant. C'mon... Freedom of '76. Boys to men still keepin' up the beat.

C'mon.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

Dude rock n roll at it's wheatiest! Ween a smooth mix of coffee and milk!

Great song! Great album (C&C).

So what got you down?????

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well once our dear friend Ben realizes he's a crazy fool, this thread will become a ween appreciation thread. But Ben's all like, "Blah blah blah, if it isn't progressive industrial in 23/16 it's not music, also I suck."

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

Oh Ok... well I'm for Ween!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    FYI: That is a direct quote, blah blah blah and all.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ween is quite possibly the most boring band I have ever seen live, which was made worse by the fact that the crowd was going nuts for them. Blech. I find that Ween is only enjoyed by those currently on drugs or those who have been on drugs in the past. They strike me as a novelty band for acid heads.

I usually like almost everything, and it takes a truly special band for me to actually say I hate them. Ween qualifies. So does Soul Coughing. Phish as well. I think that's about it, but there may be another I am forgetting about.

I'm sorry, I just think Ween sucks.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    :D I like whole notes, too.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First of all let me say: sXe 4 life :bassist:

Never drank, never smoked, never dropped acid.

Second: I've never seen them live. They might suck... LIVE... but have you heard any of their studio work? At first I wasn't too fond of them, but they grew on me realllllly fast.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    …or, maybe the brothers Ween are a couple of Coke-ed up burnouts who specialize in silly novelty songs and questionably executed trashy covers, and will never be more than B-list musicians who will never rise above the ranks of obscurity.

…or maybe they are genius.

…or maybe, music is subjective.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I've got to go back to work... which is what I should be doing now. So... yeah. Maybe Ween had a bad night, I couldn't picture them sucking live. Uh... just get Chocolate and Cheese at least... it's so good.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

... or maybe you suck too. :spit:

I know I know, everyone is entitled to an opinion... whether the opinion is right or not is irrelivant.

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup, I've heard their studio work. I think it sucks too. Sorry.

*puts on crazy prog/industrial/metal/polka music in 23/17 with no discernable key signature and lyrics about unicorns*

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I love Ween. I also like Soul Coughing (though they went downhill really fast). I've seen them live, I've had a good time, if you don't like Ween, you obvious don't get it....poor poor, misguided people. :scowl:

Oh Well, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

14. Soul Coughing: GREAT.

Ween: not a novelty act. but hey, whatever floats yer boat. Choice is awesome.

All I gotta say is:

"Where'd tha muthaf'n cheeze go??? I dunno" :smug:

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So, my opinion - that I don't like Ween is wrong?
    So, what you're saying is that I do like Ween? This makes no sense. You are wrong. I'm done with it.

16. i think the "wrong opinion" thing is kind of a joke.

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    generally, jokes will contain humor. These comments did not. Also, there was no "smilie" (sp?) to indicate that anyone was joking - actually, at least one of the posts contained an angry "spitting at me" smilie. At any rate, I've deleted my posts as this thread is not worth my time.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A couple of things:

A) Ween is a novelty act. Some might say the same about Zappa. They use comedy. Does comedy belong in music? I guess that has yet to be answered.

B)
    aparently needed a ;)

Isn't it a shame sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet. Sorry I'm not funny. :meh:

C) I can't spell.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Mollusk is a good CD, as is the country album. I love the solo on Buenas Tardas Amigo.

If you are a big Ween fan, you should get Live At Stubbs. 3 Nights, 3 Discs; the extended versions of Voodoo Lady and Bananas and Blow are awesome; as are the rest of the songs.

20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ah yes, Bananas and Blow - what a great song! Ween is all about kick ass rock and roll.

I can't believe Stangeland lumped Phish in with Soul Coughing :(

Some people might not be aware that Phish has covered Ween's "Roses are Free" many, many times - and dare I say that they actually play it better than the guys that wrote it...