Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bent End Pin Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by VTDB, Feb 4, 2006.

1. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I just received a bent end pin from George Vance and have started experimenting with it. One concern I have is the potential wear and tear on the endpin assembly itself, specifically the set screw. It seems to be under a lot of stress and I don't know how it will hold up in the long run. My question is, is this going to be a matter of having to replace set screws every once in a while or will it turn into having to replace the whole assembly?

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've been wondering the same thing--I've been thinking about ordering one of those bent pins and trying it out, but I wonder how much torque it put son the screw assembly. I suppose the idea is try the bent pin and if you like it go for either the eggpin--pricey--or the laborie pin--Drilling into the endblock! Yikes!

3. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    my vote is for the egg pin. it's sturdy, lightweight, completely non-permanent, and far more adjustable than anything else I know of.

remember, each bass has a different center of gravity, as you get used to the concept, the egg pin can adjust to your tastes

4. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    It is deffinately, worth it ! I don't have the bent pin butI do have the laborie pin.
    I tried the egg pin while taking some lessons with Hal Robinson this summer and it was as if a huge weight was lifted off me immediately.
    If you at all stand when you play then going over to the bent pin is a must in the right direction.
    I wish I had bought won 12 years ago when I first heard of them...

5. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    The problem with that is: Bent endpin from Vance = $20. Egg Pin = $229+. I'd love to be able to experiment with the egg pin but its just not feasible (financially) right now. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of damage can be done with the bent end pin. I stopped using it just because I got too paranoid about it but I do miss it.

6. +1 on everything but the lightweight part. The Eggpin may seem like a huge piece of metal for an endpin replacement at first, but now that I've been using mine for a number of years, I wouldn't be without it. My gosh, is it up to $229 now? :eek:

7. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    My experience was that the set screws didn't wear out - it was the threads inside the collar of the socket! Eventually, you may need to tap a bigger hole & re-thread to accept a slightly larger set screw.

I just posted a related blurb about this here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2750934#post2750934

Hope this helps.

8. Why don't we purchase a TBDB EGG Pin for users to share as they experiment before getting a bent pin or a Laborie?:ninja: