1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bent endpin report

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PB+J, May 11, 2006.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Not long ago I had a chance to try, very briefly, a bass with a laborie endpin. I loved it--it felt so much better on the left hand. So I bought a bent endpin ($20) from George Vance to try out the whole angled pin deal.

Wow--it's a big difference. It takes a little getting used to--it threw my intonation off some. But it just feels so much more relaxed--the left hand is taken completely out of the process of holding the bass, and it just balances so much more easily. It feels easier to get some arm weight into the right hand. It just feels more comfortable.

For what it's worth I'm pretty tall (6-4) and my bass is large-ish--a 7/8 shen. I've also gradually changed my playing position over the last year from standing more at the side to standing more behind the bass. The bent endpin really works if you tend to stand behind the bass more. If you stand more to the side, and like to hold the bass closer to straight vertical, I don't think the angled pin makes much sense.

I really like the bent pin, but it feels like it's a little off--maybe the height, maybe the angle? I'm thinking about ordering an eggpin, which is fully adjustable. Anyone know where to get one besides Lemur, which is out of stock?

2. first thing i thought about was lemur music before you mentioned it.... but .... i dont know of any other bass websites. You could probably just search for a website selling it or just wait till lemur music gets it back in stock. sry this doesnt help much. good luck.

3. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I've had a bent endpin from George for about a month now (BTW, he's a helluva nice guy). I got it cause I was having alot of balance issues with my Christopher and no matter what I did I couldn't find a comfortable (and balanced) position. The bent enpin, after considerable experimentation, seems to have really solved the problem for me. I find myself able to access the whole fingerboard with much more ease; my intonation, while certainly still needing work, is much improved, and the balance problem seems to be resolved. I was also not comfortable with the thin neck on the Chrissy, probably alot like what I hear about Englehart (sp?) necks. I had even talked to my luthier about replacing the neck with a thicker, Strunal type one but since I've started using the bent enpin even that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

The bent endpin may not be everyones cup-o-tea but it seems to have worked for me. Just my .02

4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I was always under the impression that Robertsons makes them or has them made. http://www.robertsonviolins.com/index.html

I use the egg pin and love it. I have changed its position at least 3 times in the 5 years I've been using it. It just changes with you and your tastes.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Robertsons has them made by a machinist in Alberquerque.

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I'm surprised more people don't make these or something like these--I'm very impressed with the effects of the bent pin and looking forward to having more adjustablity

7. Hello All,

Just wondering if someone could answer as to how long it took them to receive a bent endpin from George Vance - Ordered one this week and wondering when I can expect it

Thanks,

fm

8. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I had mine in about 10 days.

9. Great, thanks - looking forward to trying this out as an alternative to sitting. Tried a homemade job to test out the bent endpin thing, but it just wasn't that good (too much flex) - hoping this works for me

cheers,

fm

10. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    Got a bent end pin from Georce Vance too. I have a big Heavy 7/8, always had problem trying to find the good balance, back pain. With the bent endpin, the bass is much less heavy and no more pain in my back. Works for me.

11. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    My backup bass, a really heavy Czech (Strunal i think) doesn't balance well with the bent endpin. My carved Christopher feels perfect with it, and it's a pretty light bass. Also, Marcel, I sit and play with the bent endpin and it feels really comfortable.

12. Hi Christ,

That sounds interesting - The main reason I'm actually considering the bent endpin is that I find that when sitting on the stool, I'm dampening the sound of my bass pretty significantly when resting it against my left leg - I'm hoping the bent pin will help me to achieve the same 'feel' as being seated, but while standing. I'm quite a bit more comfortable sitting however, and am wondering - do you still rest the bass against your leg while playing seated with the bent pin? I'm guessing it probably takes some experimentation with the new angle to find optimal playing position, regardless of sitting or standing

Perhaps combining the two approaches (bent endpin with seated playing) might actually be the best option to achieve what I'm trying to achieve

Also, glad to hear that the bent pin works well with your Christopher Bass - That's what I'll be using it on!

cheers,

fm

13. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Hmmm...that's interesting. I've not experienced any significant dampening effect when I'm sitting even though I'm lightly amplified (A1 Contra/ very low volume). I'm sure that experimenting will be part of the equation. Let me know how you like it.