Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bent fiberglass stick...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Jay, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    My director, I believe, removed my bass from my locker at the university. We won't get into that. However it happened, my bow stick is now warped. It seems to be a bit more difficult to play. He said he'd order a new bow and switch out with me, but for now I'm stuck with my bent bow. What sort of problems am I likely to encounter because of this? I don't want to get into a rut thinking there's a problem with my playing if it's the bow, not me.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You might notice some control problems as you bow. How long will it be until you get the replacement?

3. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    No clue. My teacher/director is a very eccentric fellow. He'll get me a new bow, but I haven't the slightest idea when. I'm going to talk to him about that tomorrow most likely. Thanks!

4. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, your playing in college, and you are using a fiberglass bow?

5. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I had no formal training on double bass until this semester in school. I've played DB in a jazz/coffee shop band and a blues band for a couple years now. Decided to minor on double bass so that I could take lessons at school and use the music department resources. That said, I've not played with a bow until now. Figured I'd wait until I knew a bit more before dropping dough on a good bow.

6. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    ok, that makes more sense. You seem to have everything under control, so I won't make any obvious remarks.

7. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Why, thank you! I appreciate that. :D

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to do a slight upgrade, even if you had to shell out a few bucks to make up the difference. Bob Gollihur's wood bows have gotten a lot of positive buzz here, and they're less than $150. It could make your arco experience a lot nicer.

9. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    An upgrade would be really nice. As it stands, I can't make that happen. Times are really tough lately, and I'm either stuck with the bent bow or going to have to accept whatever trade option my prof gives me.

I will, however, look into those bows and suggest to the professor that he owes me a better bow. ;)