1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bent neck on fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geroi Asfalta, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Hello everybody,

I picked up a memphis pbass a few months ago. The neck was a little bent, and it constantly buzzed off the frets. I defretted it, but the action isn't low enough, and I still get some buzzing......the neck appears bent. I laid it flat on the table, and it pops up a little in the middle. What would be the best advice to repair this?

Also, the neck appears in otherwise good shape, no warps, only a few scratches from defretting it.

Thanks!

Richard

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You are probably describing a neck with reverse bow, Which needs truss rod adjustment to remove the backbow.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

On other words, lefty loosey. Loosen the trussrod.

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Please search forums for adjustment advice.
    Basically, very slowly - advice on how much (1/8 or 1/4 turn max at a time, etc) varies.
    But you want to take it very slowly.
    You "probably" want just a touch of relief the other way.
    I like it where, when I fret the strings at the first fret and about 15 (I know it's fretless, but thereabouts), one business card will slide out around the 7th fret area, but the string will hold 2 business cards.
    But search here and there is a lot of good advice.
    Good luck.

5. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks guys. I tried adjusting the truss rod, but its frozen in place. I ended up clamping it to my workbench with some padding under the bend. Left it there for a few hours, and it's in much better shape.

6. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Really , this sounds like a warp.Might be the truss rod is seized.