Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bent rim on car..can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Sep 14, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    There is much debate between my wife and I on whether or not we can have the bent rim on her old BMW 318is fixed by someone...

We don't want to buy a new one cause they are just soooo expensive...

The question is - can the pro's fix a bent rim? It was probably bent going over a pot hole; the car vibrates up to 47.448384857 MPH, then doesn't vibrate - it gets annoying for us both.

Whatcha' think?

CA-R
    "NJL"
    :)

2. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If I knew your location, I could give you a recommendation, but all I can say for now is: take it to a discount tire or other tire shop. They'll ship it off to a repair place, they'll get it the next day - fix it and ship it right back to you the following day. Typical price is $130 flat rate. Sometimes the clearcoat isn't as great, but otherwise, should work just fine.

If the rim is too bent out of shape, then it is a no go, and they'll tell you. However, wheels for your car aren't that expensive unless you are only looking at the dealership prices. If you look on ebay for a set, I'm quite sure you can pick up a set quite cheap that will fit just fine. But tires, or tire swapping, mounting, etc. would cost.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, you're right the dealer wants $400!!!! :(

I'm in San Antonio...just found a place called Wheel America just north of town...they do a flat fee of exactly what you said (you work for them, don't you??? ;) :D ). They claim a turnaround time of 24 hours, not bad, but I hope it would be a good job...

Thanks for your response!
    :)

4. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I bent a steel wheel once on a Toyota by hitting a pot hole. It was enough that I was loosing air because the tire could no longer seal. I took a 4 pound hammer to the rim to bend it back to shape. It holds air and still rides fine today.

I'm not sure if you'd want to do this to a beamer though.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, me and hammers don't do well...I'm sure if my wife had the hammer, she would try to bend me back in shape. :D

6. I think the steel rims are more bendable than the aluminum ones. More likely to be able to fix the steel ones. Heard that somewhere, don't know if its true. Maybe cause the steel can be thinner, so it doesn't have the tendency to crack when you bend it back?

Randy

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Makes sense....I think we are going to try the place we found, they have a before and after photo section, seems cool, but you never know how good their PS skills are (almost as good as Jive1's). :D

8. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Wheel America - yup, recommended. Discount Tire ships their wheels over there. And nope, I don't work for either, but I was in the tire business oh so long ago. The only tire business I am in now is buying a few sets a year.

9. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    If they don't do a good jon try 1-800-usedrim. I bought a rim for my lightning and it was only 190. The dealership was 450 for one . Great company.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    when i got into my accident. my right front rim was totally gone. couldn't be fixed.

got one at a junkyard (exact match) for 100 bucks

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What year 318? There's a 98 Ti with the sport wheel package that live in my apartment complex, I could snag one of those some night for a $100, you pay shipping ;)