Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Benv,..The sound?....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Mar 23, 2004.

1. There is this beauty for sale

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711399802&category=4713

Never played one so0o jsut wondering..i know they play like butter.. :)...but just wondering what kinda sound do Benv's have compare to the rest?...

I am looking for something that is a lil different to my GB which has all the Modern Jazz in bucket loads....and everything in between,

I am not really a fan of all this wooten-esq sound.,.give me Stu Zender anyday..i dig his tone immensly..

any thoughts :)...

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That is my Absolute Favorite Benavente besides my own!!!

I'm just an average joe with minimal theory and about the crappiest recording setup.....

But you asked sound:

My new band... recorded this week
    Believe
    Alone
    recorded late Feb
    Kin
    Fear

My Solo stuff
    Snowed
    Release
    After the Sadness

My bass has an Ash body, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and the previous generation of Chris' Pre. All recorded strung with D'addario Prism strings except the last 2 which are SIT flats

Recorded either direct to sound card or through the line out of my Ashdown

:bassist:

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Thats a really nice Benavente that was bought by Hman here on TB. He owns I think 4 or 5 Benavente's. He did a trade on that one, because he plays mostly Single cut basses.

That one has Dual coil Dimarzio's which are a darker pickup and originally had the Old Benavente pre. When it got to the UK it has a U-retro preamp dropped in it. This was a little differnt U-retro since its the one in the outboard stomp box verse the normal onboard. Not sure how they compare, but the Dimarzio's with U-retro onboard sounds great.

Either way, its not going to sound like the normal Benavente, but could be changed easily to have the Benavente preamp and pickups.

Either way its a wonderfull bass and at 1299 euro's, not a bad buy at all.

4. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Brian, it is £1,299 UK pounds, not euros ;)

As Brian said when I received the bass in France it had the older Benavente preamp which was not to my liking. Brian was kind enough to send me the u-retro preamp, and JP installed it in the bass.

I can say that it radically improved the sound of the bass. It really opened up the DiMarzio dual coils. Playability is excellent, this is a really good bass IMHO. I would have kept it if I could but I need to raise some money and I am seriously downsizing my bass gear.

Prior to selling it I recorded a few soundclips, if you want to check them out:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112880

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Ari

Sounds Great.

Thats what I wondered, did the preamp I sent sound like the regular ones?

This one was able to really go passive and have full control of the blend unlike the regular u or j-retro does.

I wasn't sure if the turn out would sound the same. The East preamps are so powerfull and have so much ability for eq-ing that they really work great with these Dimarzio's and opening them up. The other 2 basses with Dimarzio's have the east/u-retro in them and sound awesome.